Duty Station: Kisubi, Wakiso, Uganda
Reports to: Clinical Psychologist
Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services in Uganda (for people with disability) was established in 2006 as a private non-profit, non-governmental organization and is supported by CBM (Christian Blind Mission). CoRSU Rehabilitation Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre on Entebbe Road provides Orthopaedic Surgery, Plastic Surgery and Rehabilitation, mainly for children with disability.
Job Summary: The Volunteer Social Worker is to provide psychosocial support to the patient/family unit based on an assessment that identifies the needs, strengths, goals, interventions and services indicated accordance with the established plan of care and to utilize professional training and personal judgment in monitoring the psychosocial assessment process. The Volunteer social worker is a member of the interdisciplinary team who is responsible for working efficiently whilst maintaining due respect to self, colleagues and patients/caregivers/families.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strongly advocates for child protection and safeguarding.
- Carries out psychosocial assessments, case management, education and ongoing evaluation of patients and families.
- Completes comprehensive psychosocial assessments within the shortest possible time and develops an intervention plan together with the client.
- Maintains an appropriate clinical record, completing documentation effectively.
- A written plan of care to provide information and direction to other interdisciplinary team members regarding the provision of social work services.
- Takes part in the team decision to admit and/or discharge patients for rehabilitation services.
- Assists with discharge planning by coordinating and ensuring that the plan is followed.
- Provides social work expertise regarding changes to the patient’s level of care.
- Documents all findings, needs, problems, measurable goals, plans, interventions, and patient responses in the clinical record.
- Communicates plans and changes to the physician and other members of the interdisciplinary team through the care plan, coordination notes, and participation in case meetings.
- Provides casework/evaluation and service management of patients requiring information about, or monitoring of: Family Relationships, Meaning of illness to the patient and his/her family, Cultural and spiritual attitudes in relationship to illness and Long Term Care Planning
- Monitors safety of patient environment, including following reporting policy regarding possible abuse/neglect and suicide, abilityof patient and family to adjust to the care of the patient in the home; and, the financial impact of patient’s illness upon the family.
- Demonstrates teamwork and effective communication to accomplishpatient, team and CoRSU goals.
- Shares areas of expertise and initiates interdisciplinary referrals including community outreach regarding rehabilitation care issues.
- Educates team members and patient’s families about community resources and how to access them appropriately
- Actively participates in training and in-service education and leads training modules relating to Social Work roles in the rehabilitation process.
- Offers support in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the ongoing quality improvement process.
- Participate in the on-call rotation to deal with admissions, deaths and crises management.
- Performs other activities as assigned.
- Consistently promotes company’s core values, mission and vision.
- The ideal candidate for the CORSU Volunteer Social Worker should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences
- Prior volunteer experience preferred in a rehabilitation setting of people with disability will be of an added advantage.
- Healthcare/hospice or volunteer administration experience preferred.
- Sensitivity to the impact of life and psychosocial/medical issues faced by individuals with disabilities; should be emotionally strong, tact in dealing with patients and their families; ability to support others at a time of crisis.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility by performing a variety of tasks, often changing from one to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Communicate effectively and assertively with people of all socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Responsible functioning in the work place, maturity, cooperation, flexibility, tact in dealing with co-workers and all members of the hospital team.
- Maintains high standards of integrity and business ethics.
- Abides by company rules, policies and procedures, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Conducts self in an honest, ethical manner.
NB: Capable People with Disabilities (PWDs) are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to submit their applications (detailed CV with covering letter plus copies of academicqualifications) to The Head of Human Resources, CoRSU Hospital P.O. Box 46 Kisubi, Uganda or email to email@example.com.
Deadline: 26th September, 2016 by 5:00pm