Graduate Trainees, Grants Management Unit (GMU) (2) – INFECTIOUS DISEASES INSTITUTE
Job Title: Graduate Trainees, Grants Management Unit (GMU) (2)
Reporting to: Manager, Grants and Contracts
Classification: Five-month renewable contract
The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to build capacity of health systems in Africa with strong emphasis on infectious diseases through research, and capacity development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University-John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
The IDI Grants Management Unit (GMU) has primary responsibility for supporting the management of the entire grants/contracts cycle from opportunity identification and grants/contract acquisition to post-award management and reporting through to close-out. It currently supports over 80 awards to IDI and over 20 sub-awards from IDI to other entities. IDI is recruiting for 2 GMU Graduate Trainee positions for an initial renewable six month period as follows:
Support departments and funders
• Preparing timely reports, as required – ensuring excellence in reporting content and format
• Providing support in tracking and reporting of financial and programmatic performance of grants
• With IDI finance staff, extracting information from financial management system, as required; customizing reporting formats and frequency to meet individual project managers/administrators’ and funders’ needs
• Maintaining a consistent hard copy / electronic filing structure and system for financial information and contracts related to grants
• Supporting the Manager (Grants & Contracts) in reviewing and selecting sub-grantees and in management of their financial and programmatic compliance and performance across the sub-grant cycle
• Any other duties assigned from time to time by the supervisor
The purpose of the Grants & Contracts Management graduate traineeship is to strengthen the capacity and competitiveness of IDI’s Grants and Contracts Office skill base by developing the in-house skills of young professionals. At the end of the traineeship which should not last longer than 1 year, it is envisaged the trainee would have gained sufficient experience to become a permanent member of staff, subject to satisfactory performance and availability of resources.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong analytical abilities
• Exceptional written and spoken communication skills
• Exceptional creativity, and a positive attitude to learning and to goal achievement
• Good organization skills
• High proficiency in the use of office computers and spreadsheets.
• Some understanding of project planning and management and budget preparation processes is preferable
Compensation for the position will be commensurate with training and experience as guided by IDI salary scales
Superior recent academic achievement preferably in a business, management or economics field at a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree level
Qualified and interested persons may apply through e-mail or hand-deliver their application letter with a detailed CV, naming at least two referees, to:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supporting business acquisition and reporting of progress and/or performance related to business acquisition efforts
• Supporting grant/contract budget development and tracking as well as responding to ad hoc grant-related issues including correspondence with IDI project teams,
The Manager, Human Resources Infectious Diseases Institute
P. O. Box 22418,
Deadline for receipt of applications is Friday October 21st, 2016. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.