Duty Station: Lamwo, Uganda
Reports to: Associate Field Manager
GiveDirectly is an international non-profit organization that currently operating in Kenya and Uganda that aims to help people living in extreme poverty by making unconditional cash transfers to them via mobile phone. GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the norms underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: We deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them. This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than traditional, top-down approaches. GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technologies and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently.
Job Summary: The Field Officer (Lamwo) will play a critical day-to-day role in delivering GiveDirectly’s gold-standard cash transfer product to donors and recipients. The Field Officer will carry out and support a variety of field activities, depending on his / her team assignment and GiveDirectly’s needs on any given day. In short, the Field Officer will be responsible for executing the recipient surveys and associated processes that facilitate GiveDirectly’s unique cash transfer model, from enrollment of recipients to sending actual transfers. The role will reward high-quality judgment on operational questions and challenges, work ethic, communication skills, and a strong commitment to GiveDirectly’s mission and model.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The jobholder will meet with the village elders and guides to understand village boundaries
- In charge of coordinating with team members, visit every household in the village
- Complete census surveys with accurate data
- Explain GiveDirectly’s program to eligible households
- Provide cell phones and SIM cards as necessary
- The Field Officer will identify and eliminate ineligible households
- Explain safety and readiness information to recipients
- Ensure someone in the household is ready to operate the phone to access transfers
- The ideal candidate for the GiveDirectly Field Officer job opportunity should preferably hold a Degree or Diploma in a relevant field.
- Previous working experience in the field with vulnerable communities (1-2 years minimum)
- Empathy, honesty, and the highest standards of integrity
- Keen interest in advancing the distinctive values and mission of GiveDirectly
- Patience and good judgment in resolving recipient problems
- Computer and mobile device data entry ability or experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Physical fitness and ability to cope with difficult weather conditions or terrain
- Fluency in Acholi and English
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
NB: Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS. GiveDirectly does not request for any form of payment from an applicant.
Deadline: 4th November, 2016