Title: Legal Assistant (3 Position)
Reports to: Legal Officer
Duty Stations: Arua, Rwamwanja and Koboko
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension.
War Child is an internationally recognized charity that works with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity and justice. in Uganda, through its Access to Justice and Protection programmes, War Child Canada provides LegalAid services for Women and Child Survivors of violence and raises public awareness around the impact of conflict on communities and the shared responsibility to act.
This programme has now expanded to the South Sudanese refugee settlements in the West Nile region and Kiryandongo where War Child Canada seeks to increase the legal protections of children, youth, women and men and continue to address the prevalence of perpetrators’ impunity through legal intervention, awareness raising and capacity building. Our programming emphasizes strong Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) prevention, identiﬁcation and response interventions.
War Child Canada has recieved funding from United States Department of State Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration (BPRM) to increase protection for refugees and other vulnerable persons in Ugandan refugee settlements in the districts of Adjumani, Arua, Kiryandongo, Koboko and Kamwenge.
The Legal Assistant will be responsible for supporting the smooth ninning of the daily activities of War Child Canada’s Legal Aid Clinic, including client management and follow up, facilitation of alternative dispute resolution and to contribute to legal awareness raising activities and legal trainings.
Required qualiﬁcation, knowledge and skills:
- The candidate must have a Diploma in Law (Degree in Law is an added advantage)
- Must possess at least two years working experience in a related ﬁeld
- Fluency in local languages and an excellent working knowledge of spoken and written English
- Profound knowledge on Child Protection, SGBV and the general legal system of Uganda
- Proﬁciency in Computer packages such as (MS word Excel Power point and Data base)
- Ability/willingness to learn to ride a motor cycle.
Job application procedure
The Application Package must include:
- Detailed CV.
- Cover Letter indicating clearly daytime telephone contact and active email address.
- Photocopies of relevant certiﬁcates (both professional and vocational).
- Contact information of at least three professional referees.
Note: Clearly indicate position and location you are applying for.
Interested applicants should deliver ONLY hard copies of their Application Packages to any of the following War Child Canada Ofﬁces: Kampala: 2nd floor, Plot 944 Ggaba Road. Kansanga. (Please ensure applications are delivered to War Child Canada NOT War Child Holland:) Kiryandongo: Panyadoli Refugee Settlement RFM Base Camp, Bweyale.
Arua: Rhino Camp Refugee Settlement Yoro Base Camp.
Koboko: Lobule Refugee Settlement, Ofﬁce of the Prime Minister Building.
Note: Qualiﬁed female and other equity-seeking candidates are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
War Child Canada recruits with a fair, transparent and competitive process in line with our organizational policy. Any lobbying will automatically terminate candidacy. Thank you for your Interest in War Child Canada.
Deadline of this Job: 5:00 PM 28th Oct 2016