Fresher UN Assistant Project Control Officer Career Jobs – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10026722
Vacancy Notice: 32/2016
Reports to: Senior Project Control Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Grade: NOA
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Assistant Project Control Officer will be responsible for all project control functions which complement programme management and provide support for oversight of projects including the formulation of a monitoring plan, quality assurance, and verification. Other activities of project control include: review of project agreements, project audit, monitoring that there is synchrony between financial and operational performance, participation in multi-functional monitoring activities and reviews, tracking project risk management, and supporting project closure. It is essential to maintain segregation of duties between project control and programme functions for effective accountability and oversight. The Project Control Officers play a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships, and often interact with implementing partners. As a result, incumbents need to be very mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in their interaction with partners (in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively contribute to reviewing that project agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR rules, policies and procedures.
- Significantly contribute to tracking the management of project risks in collaboration with the programme unit, and report major risks to senior management.
- Contribute to reviewing, analyzing and verifying Financial and Performance Implementing Partner Reports (Part I-IPFR and Part II-IPR), and to checking accuracy and consistency between IPFR and IPR, in accordance with project agreements.
- Regularly monitor, track and verify that expenditure for direct implementation by UNHCR is in line with the approved budget.
- Carry out reviews of the internal control systems of implementing partners and provide advice as required.
- Provide input on identified variants, risks and issues to the partner, programme unit and escalate to management as required.
- Support timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
- Provide input to the mid- and end-year programme review process on issues related to project control.
- Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
- Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
- Perform any other duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Assurance of project implementation and delivery of expected results within budget/resources, timeframe, and in accordance with project agreements is provided.
- Resources transferred to implementing partners are utilized for the intended purposes and in accordance with project agreements.
- Performance delivery and financial expenditure reported by implementing partners are accurate and consistent.
- Programme and senior management are promptly informed of major variances and risks in the execution of projects (budgets, finance, implementation or timeframe).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Assistant Project Control Officer job placement should hold a University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration, Economics or related field, OR university degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting, auditing or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent).
- At least two years of previous job experience in the field of accounting/finance, project management, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management.
- Good knowledge of international auditing standards.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 4th January, 2017