Law Jobs Uganda 2017 – Fresher Legal Assistant at The Refugee Law Project
Job title: Legal Assistant (Law Jobs Uganda 2017)
Reports to: Programme Manager,
Law Jobs Uganda 2017: The Legal Assistant provides specific legal assistance to the assigned Legal officer and office in the provision of direct legal support to victims of forced migration and in carrying out policy advocacy on forced migration.
The Legal Assistant also provides technical support to RLP in relation to Legal work through an active contribution in defining Legal priorities on research, partnership, alliance building and advocacy. The depth and scope of legal assistance work can be modified but within the major precincts of; Legal Service, Legal Documentation and Legal Advocacy.
The Refugee Law Project (RLP) is an outreach project of the School of Law, Makerere University. Our Mission is to empower asylum seekers, refugees, deportees, IDPs and host communities to enjoy their human rights and lead dignified lives. The Refugee Law Project has a wide physical presence with offices in the districts of Kampala, Hoima, Mbarara, Gulu and Kitgum.
Access to Justice Programme: Access to Justice Area of Placement: Kampala (with possibility of transfer to other field offices) Key Result Areas and Tasks
KPA 1: Client Support
- The Legal Assistant will receive clients and visitors, carryout initial needs assessment and direct them to the relevant officer(s); provide research support to the Legal Officers on cases; support the Legal Officers in Investigations including locating relevant witnesses for cases and also support in interviewing clients and witnesses and prepare report(s) on the interview for the Legal Officer and providing quotes to clients.
KPA 2: Networking,
- Advocacy and awareness raising
- Participate in community education and raising awareness on forced migration,
- International Human Rights, Refugee Law and also participate in relevant field visits to refugee and IDP settlements and other places such as police stations and prisons.
KPA 3: Information management support
- The Legal Assistant will carry out other clerkship responsibilities including; filing, taking and responding to legal related correspondences as necessary; support in basic psychosocial counseling for clients; prepare legal documents; research cases and any pertinent legal information needed and also help legal officers prepare for court cases, including opening and closing arguments and aiding in court pleadings or motions
- Ability to operationalize legal assignments;
- Ability to give timely report on activities undertaken;
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision;
- Creative and innovative skills;
- Great interpersonal skills and high level of self-motivation;
- Excellent skills in MS Office applications and good communication and presentation skills;
- Good touch typing skills of at least 30Words Per Minute;
- Fluency in Kiswahili and/or any other language spoken in refugee communities will be an added advantage
Necessary Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized university
- Experience in representing clients before any quasi-judicial other governing bodies
- Experience in engaging with key partners on legal related issues
- Possession of a practicing certificate will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of Kiswahili and/or any other language spoken in refugee communities will be an added advantage
If you are interested and meet the above requirements, submit a motivation letter and curriculum vitae electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position applied for MUST be indicated in the subject line of the email. Copies of certificates should not be attached, but will be requested for from short-listed candidates only. RLP is a Non-discriminating and Results Oriented organization so we provide an equal chance for all.
Deadline: Friday 7th April 2017 at 5.00pm
You will receive a confirmation email of receipt from the Human Resources Unit upon successful submission. Thereafter, if you meet the basic requirements for shortlist, you will be notified for the next step in selection assessment.