Internships in Uganda 2018 – Mercy Corps
Job Title: Gender Integration Internship
Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda, with frequent travel to remote field locations in northern Uganda
Dates of Internship: June- September (flexible)
Reports to: Senior MEL Manager with support from Director of Programs
Internships in Uganda 2018: Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Senior MEL Manager and Director of Programs to prioritize gaps based on a remote feedback report to be addressed during the internship and workplan for the internship.
- Conduct gender assessments and develop gender integration plans, which may include the following:
- Data collection and analysis with support of enumerators and Senior MEL Manager.
- Development of final Gender Assessment Reports and presentations.
- Organization of team review sessions around digesting the findings of a gender assessment and co-development of the gender integration plans. Review sessions may include external stakeholder and partners, as needed.
- Share learnings with the Mercy Corps Uganda, ideally in at least one field office as well as the Kampala office. This session can also act as a validation workshop for the internship. Webinar with the wider Mercy Corps Uganda team can also be organized.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Gender Integration Internship at Mercy Corps must hold a Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, international development, public policy or a related field and with knowledge and/or interest in the field of gender. Master’s degree preferred
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data, assessment, evaluations or other learning processes.
- Excellent English written and oral skills; Excellent communicator.
- Experience in evaluation, assessments and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
- Experience in gender integration and mainstreaming preferred.
- Entrepreneurial leader who can quickly understand how to mold a project to meet the needs of the organization as well as the learning objectives of the intern.
- Creative, proactive problem solver who understands the nature of life in the field and a fast-paced ever-changing environment.
- Willingness to learn and adapt.
- Willingness to mentor another member of our team and to build capacity of our team is preferred.
- Interest in working in a similar field in the future.
Mercy Corps Internship Benefits: For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
- Housing in Yumbe
- ISOS Emergency Med-Evac Coverage
- Reimbursement for 3-month visa and/or any special pass required
- Transportation between field and Kampala
- Housing while in Kampala and any additional field offices
- A mobile phone with a 30,000 UGX monthly allowance of airtime (purchased directly by Mercy Corps)
- Workstation within Mercy Corps Uganda office in Kampala
- Access to Mercy Corps online tools
Intern responsibilities: Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- International travel to/from Uganda
- Travel medical insurance
- Living expenses
- All other costs associated with this internship
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates apply online at the link below.