Paid Internships Uganda 2019 – No Experience Program Management Trainee
Job Title: Program Management Intern
Hours: 40 hours per week, maximum
Internship Period: 6 months (with no option to extend)
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Stipend: UGX 555,150/month
Mentor/Supervisor: National Senior Quality Improvement Advisor
About University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Paid Internships Uganda 2019: URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Division & Activity Overview:
The Quality and Performance Institute (QPI) is a division of URC that has implemented quality improvement and operations research programs in health care since 1981 and continues to be at the cutting edge of health care improvement work in countries around the world.
With the RHITES-N, Acholi Activity (Regional Health Integration to Enhance Services in Northern Uganda – Acholi), USAID will continue its support of the Government of Uganda’s (GOU) efforts to improve access to and use of health services in the country’s post-conflict northern region. The RHITES-N, Acholi Activity will build on USAID investments and national advances to increase access to and use of high-quality integrated services that accelerate the ability and capacity to respond to the specific health needs of residents in the Acholi sub-region, leveraging the URC-ASSIST project successes.
URC and the RHITES-N, Acholi Activity offers internships in an effort to provide current university students, recent graduates and new professionals, from various academic fields, the opportunity to apply their knowledge to actual work experience. URC and the RHITES-N, Acholi Activity strongly believe that internships are an important tool in developing and retaining new and innovative talent to assist us in our continuous goal of improving systems to empower communities. Internships provide on-the-job mentorship and training opportunities in the areas of public health, leadership, finance, human resources, and administration with experienced URC staff members and experienced staff members of partner organizations such as other Uganda-based NGOs and the Uganda Ministry of Health.
Interns will be provided with clearly defined roles and scopes of work and will be supervised by a URC staff member or, in the case of external placements, a suitable member of the staff within the organization in which the intern is assigned. Supervisors of interns will be responsible for monitoring the progress of their assigned intern(s) to ensure effective learning and a positive experience for internship participants.
Internship Learning Objectives, Roles and Responsibilities:
During the course of the placement, the intern will work with their mentor/supervisor and other members of the organization to gain experience and knowledge in the following professional roles and responsibilities:
- Follow up activity requests to ensure they are approved in line with the organization policies
- How to maintain correspondences between office and the external clients. This includes making follow up phone calls or emails to track progress of activities
- How to coordinate with the procurement office to ensure logistics requested for are available and organized in time for activities
- Provide program support for meetings through the preparation and execution phases
- Organize and file program documents including reports and knowledge management products
- Understand how to maintain a tracker for program activities, milestones and deadlines
- Support knowledge management activities of the program
- Other areas of development as may be prescribed from time to time.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Degree in Health Sciences or Social Sciences or related field.
- Must have graduated within the previous 24 months. No candidates over 24 months post-graduation are eligible for the internship program.
- Computer literacy, especially Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and oral.
- Ability to work with a team and meet tight deadlines.
Desired Experience & Qualifications
- Ability to work independently and display initiative
- Attention to details and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in Uganda for an indefinite period without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position.
For immediate consideration, please visit URC’s Career Opportunities page at www.urc-chs.com/careers.
You must upload your CV/Résumé and your Cover Letter where indicated.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. No phone calls, please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise. Thank you very much for your interest.
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We value and seek diversity in our workforce.