Job Title: Shipment Assistant
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary Grade: FSN-6 (Ugshs 41,892,912 p.a. inclusive of allowances)
Vacancy Announcement Number: 94-16
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Deborah R. Malac currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The Shipment Assistant expedites the customs clearances and other host Government approvals and arrange for commercial shipping services for all incoming and outgoing shipments of supplies, household effects, vehicles, coordinate the movements of the rest of the shipping office, maintain real time tracking of shipments and provide customer support., etc.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares renewal forms for road licenses for GOV/POV. Tracks inbound/outbound shipments and keeps office Excel tracker updated.
- Processes necessary documents for clearing customs and URA exemptions.
- Coordinates actions of shipping and clearing agents.
- The incumbent coordinates with shippers and customers for the delivery of goods. Processes vehicle transfers/registrations/de-registrations.
- Facilitate and oversee HHE/UAB/POV and Consumables shipments.
- Ensure timely processing of official shipments.
- Ensure timely responses to Shipping agents and Customers.
Pouches: Facilitate the clearance and delivery of Classified/Unclassified pouches.
- Meets new mission personnel and official visitors at the airport, receives passports and tags, pass through immigration, identifies the baggage, for through customs and transport them to destination.
- Arranges for VIP Lounge and works with security officials during visits of VIP visitors.
- Processes passports upon arrival and departure through the VIP Lounge. Checks VIP visitors in departure and handles passports.
- Processes passenger at ticket counter and immigration, assists by completing departure forms.
- Remains at airport until departure of plane.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United US Embassy Shipment Assistant career opportunity should have completion secondary school
- At least three years of clerical experience in shipping, logistics, or transportation is required
- A good working knowledge and understanding of customs regulations and local law concerning importation/exportation of goods and property is required.
- Level 1 typing (less than 40 wpm); ability to drive a vehicle, basic office computer skills and interpersonal skills in dealing with American employees and Ugandan Government officials are required
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Language Proficiency: Level III English (good working knowledge in both written and spoken) is required.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications and strictly adhere to the following:
- Download a completed and signed Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff, Download it Here.
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Submit Application To:
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov
NB: Your application will be reviewed if you have fulfilled all the requirements including submission of standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) in a single attachment (No Zipped files, Links or Multiple Attachments) and should not exceed 10MB. Please clearly indicate the position number and title you are applying for on the DS-174 form.
Deadline: 20th October 2016
The US Mission in Kampala provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.