Deadline: 12th September 2016
Department: Finance Country Office
Reports to: Programme Unit Finance Manager
Purpose: Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Uganda started its operations in 1992 and currently has diversified programme portfolio in the Central, Eastern, Northern and West Nile regions.
The organisation is an equal opportunity employer and is currently seeking to recruit competent persons to fill above mentioned position:
Reporting to the Programme Unit Finance Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for providing timely and reliable information, maintain accurate records of financial transactions through establishing accounts and posting transactions in the accounting system for the Programme Unit.
Dimensions of Role:
Responsible for capturing financial data into the system
Typical Responsibilities – Key End Results of Position:
1. Cash Disbursement
• Reconcile the receipt record with cash receipts and the bank deposit slip
• Processes invoices in SAP
• Prepares payments on the business on-line system
• Prepares cheques to accompany the corresponding payment – Vouchers
• Stamps payment vouchers and all supporting documents as ’paid’ as per the operation manual.
• Enter all transactions into the SAP as per Plan International’s procedures
• Execute mobile money payments
2. Record Management
• Maintain payment Voucher files in numerical order.
• Proper custody of the embossing machine and paid stamps
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliation
• Prepare monthly mobile money reconciliation report
4. CPP Responsibilities
• Adhere to the Child Protection Policy (CPP), Code of Conduct and reporting any child protection issues.
• Responsible for the implementation of the CPP standards as they apply to area of responsibility, development of actions to address identified gaps and monitoring their effectiveness
5. Sponsorship Commitments Responsibilities
• Understands the sponsorship commitments and support Plan International Uganda team at all times to work with them and meet the commitment to Sponsored Children and sponsors
Dealing with Problems:
• Having to make payment for a Project Outline and later finding that it is not yet linked to the grant in SAP
Communications and Working Relationships:
• Programme Unit Finance Manager: Working hand in hand towards producing reliable information by maintaining record of financial transaction for the designated Programme Unit
• All Programme Unit staffs: Daily handling of their requests for payment
Knowledge, Skills, Experience, Attitudes and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
• Bachelors (Hons) degree in Finance and Accounting, Commerce, Business Administration with accounting major
• Part professional qualification in accountancy e.g. CPA or ACCA,
• A minimum of 2 years working experience as an Assistant Accountant in a busy and reputable organisation
• Computer literate with ability to work with spreadsheets
• Experience working with an NGO will be an added advantage
• Knowledge of an accounting software package such as SAP, SUN, Tally, Sage desirable
• Interest in addressing children, family and community development issues
• High level of integrity and accuracy
• Committed to meeting deadlines
• Team player
Physical Environment and Demands:
• Typical office environment
Level of Contact with Children:
• Occasional interaction with children
• Ability to adhere to the Child Protection Policy, Code of Conduct and reporting any CPP issues;
• Responsible for the implementation of the CPP standards as they apply to area of responsibility plus the development of actions to address identified gaps and monitoring their effectiveness.
Sponsorship Commitments Responsibilities
Support the Sponsorship Support Manager to ensure that Plan International Uganda staff effectively understand, implement and meet the 10 sponsorship commitments.
Qualified candidates should submit letters of application, together with a CV, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant certificates, names and contact details of three references plus salary history should be included and sent to the undersigned not later than Monday, 12th September 2016. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful in case you do not hear from us by 30th November 2016.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Ag. Country Human Resources Manager,
Plan International Uganda
NB: Only soft copies of applications will be considered and indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.
As a Child Centred Development organisation, Plan International Uganda strives to ensure that children are kept safe in all the areas we operate. The organisation further has a Child Protection Policy that every staff is required to sign. Potential candidates will be required to provide information confirming whether or not they have ever been convicted of any child abuse crimes.