Job Title: Uganda Studies Program (USP) Intern – UCU Jobs
Organisation: Uganda Christian University (UCU)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Reports to: Program Administrator
Monthly Salary: UGX 567,344/=
UCU Jobs: Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education – not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as a cultural and practical guide to USP students, helping to familiarize them with life in Uganda as well as UCU, Mukono, Kampala and Uganda in general.
- Engage in formal and informal discussions with students regarding the issues they face in their studies and experiences in Uganda, including faith, Christianity and culture.
- Travel with students; assist trip leader with preparation, follow-up, and tasks during trip.
- Complete administrative tasks, such as preparing/processing paperwork and computer related tasks.
- Work closely between USP and Honors College departments particularly in the coordination and facilitation of USP/Honors College events.
- Assist Honors College Office up to 10 hours a week to coordinate academic in-service activities such as leadership meetings, practicum sites, academic mentoring, etc.
- Attend classes when needed, and engage in both content, and provide logistical support and assistance in the classroom, such as helping to set up projector for computer presentations etc.
- Attend to office errands on campus, in Mukono and in Kampala.
- Work closely with American Program Assistants and students in planning and implementing activities and events throughout the semester.
- Supports USP coordinators with the internship requirement of student experience, which involves meeting with Ugandan organization leaders and serving as an internship liaison.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the UCU Uganda Studies Program Intern job opportunity must hold a Bachelor’s Degree from Uganda Christian University
- Previous experience working with in a cross-cultural context and with people from different backgrounds.
- Excellent interpersonal skills especially when dealing with students, visitors and staff
- Competency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Be a Committed Christian with high integrity and work ethics
How to Apply:
All applicants must answer the following questions and type and print the responses, taking not more than 2 pages, double-spaced:
- Why do you want to intern with USP?
- What do you hope to contribute to the program?
- What do you hope to gain from the internship experience?
Send an application letter clearly demonstrating suitability together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three references, copies of Academic and professional certificates and transcripts to:
The Manager, Human Resource & Administration,
Uganda Christian University,
P.O. Box 4, Mukono. Uganda
Email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 3rd November 2017 by 5:00 pm