Gender and Sexuality Trainee – Refuge Law project (RLP)
Deadline: Friday 29th July 2016 by 5.00pm
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Programme Manager, Gender and Sexuality
The Refugee Law Project (RLP) is an outreach project of the School of Law, Makerere University. Our Mission is to empower asylum seekers, refugees, deportees, IDPs and host communities to enjoy their human rights and lead dignified lives. Refugee Law Project’s work is currently structured in five thematic areas: Access to Justice; Conflict, Transitional Justice & Governance (CTJ&G), Gender & Sexuality; Mental Health & Psychosocial Wellbeing; and Media for Social Change.
Job Summary: The Trainee (Gender and Sexuality) will actively participate in programme activities in regard to direct support, networking, research, advocacy and program development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct Client Support:
- Support the G&S team in: Providing counseling to individuals, couples, families and groups of refugees, asylum seekers and other forced migrants in different settings like the office, homes, schools, hospitals, prisons and the community for their psychosocial and metal health wellbeing; conducting information sessions with the different groups and communities of refugees, asylum seekers and the host community for purposes of passing on relevant and pertinent information as regards the programme;
- Keeping proper and up to date records for all the clients handled including client testimonies;
- Conducting assessment and referral of clients within the program;
- Providing psychosocial education, training and capacity building for clients, stakeholders as well as organization staff; prepare reports for all activities undertaken;
- Carrying out community dialogues and other strategies for peace promotion and conflict resolution among refugees, asylum seekers and other forced migrants and the host community and conduct home visits for clients under the programme
- Networking: Participate in stakeholder and partner coordination meetings from time to time and actively participate in other thematic programme activities as necessary.
- Actively participate in existing research projects with in the programme and also support in identifying topical and emerging issues with in the programme for research purposes.
- Take part in advocacy on issues affecting refugees, asylum seekers and other forced migrants using different advocacy strategies like media, community and public dialogues, video documentaries among others;
- Participate in functions to promote the rights of the vulnerable categories of refugees, asylum seekers and other forced migrants like the international day celebrations, campaign weeks among others.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Refugee Law Project (RLP) Trainee (Gender and Sexuality) job placement should hold a Degree in Social Work, Community Psychology, Gender studies.
- Significant experience in counseling and in the management of a similar programme.
- Fluency in Kiswahili and/or any other language spoken in refugee communities will be an added advantage
How to Apply:
If you meet the above requirements and are interested, we encourage you to address motivation letter and updated CV to the Human Resources Manager via E-mail to email@example.com. Please indicate the position applied for in the subject line of the email. Copies of certificates should not be attached, but will be requested for from short-listed candidates only.