Job Title: Law Clerk (Legal Jobs Uganda)
Legal Jobs Uganda: To protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Legal Jobs Uganda: International Justice Mission (IJM) Kampala is working to eliminate property grabbing in Uganda by bringing rescue and restoration to individual victims, accountability to their perpetrators, and transformation to the public justice system as a whole.
As a Law Clerk on IJM’s Casework team, you will have the opportunity to bring substantive relief to widows and orphans by supporting IJM’s intervention into individual cases of property grabbing and coordinating with government actors to ensure effective estate administration.
This position is based in Kampala, Uganda and reports to the IJM Director of Legal.
- Conduct case intake and client screening based on established criteria.
- Support the Casework Administrator in tracking, managing, and entering case related data on paper and electronic case tracking management systems.
- Perform clerical duties (photocopying, filing, posting, errands, etc.) as needed.
- Prepare and deliver case documentation to clients.
- Provide translation and other case-related support.
- Serve process on behalf of IJM Attorneys.
- Liaise and Coordinate with Third Parties
- Liaise with and pursue action from government offices (Lands Registry, Administrator General).
- Coordinate meetings with relevant parties, attorneys and power actors.
- Make payments on behalf of IJM Attorneys for case-related transactions.
- File and collect documents with courts, third parties, and other governing authorities.
Support and Development
- Participate in IJM programs in professionalism and Christian spiritual formation.
- Assist in hosting guests, visitors, and volunteers.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- This position requires frequent travel to and from Mukono District and Jinja during work hours.
Required Skills and Experience
- Diploma in relevant subject (law, business, government relations, etc.).
- Two or more years of experience as a paralegal, law clerk or legal assistant.
- Fluency in English and Luganda, with excellent writing and speaking in both.
- Computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Licensed Process Server Preferred.
- Driver’s License Preferred.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed.
- Passionate commitment to IJM’s mission and values.
- Professional in demeanor, appearance, written and oral communication.
- Works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude.
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity.
- Intelligent, organized, creative and proactive problem solver.
- Ability to cooperate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
How to apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should send their CVs and application letters either to this email: email@example.com or by mail to:
International Justice Mission
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 502
Plot 15 Suuna Road, Ntinda
Ntinda, Kampala, UGANDA
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM.
The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.
Jobs in Uganda: Legal Jobs Uganda 2017 – Diploma Level Law Clerk at IJM