Job Title: ICS Volunteer (Balloon Ventures Uganda Jobs)
Organization: Balloon Ventures (BV)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: ICS Programme Coordinator
Balloon Ventures Uganda Jobs: We are a rapidly growing UK based social enterprise founded in 2011. We run enterprise programmes in Africa and Asia that provide training and funding to entrepreneurs for the entire business journey. Balloon’s mission … is to create a world where potential is realised through building sustainable local businesses. We do this by utilising the skills of committed international and local volunteers to provide continued support and funding to help micro-entrepreneurs grow into SMEs.
About ICS Programme:
International Citizen Service is an international initiative funded by the UK Government and delivered by 9 UK-based organisations – of which Balloon Ventures is 1. The ICS programme brings together young people from the UK and around the world to live, work and learn together in cross-cultural teams to achieve development impact. Volunteers live and work side-by-side, staying with host families in the local community.
Balloon Ventures Uganda Jobs: The ICS Volunteer will be part of a team that will work collaboratively for 11 weeks within a youth-led, multi-cultural team of volunteers, supporting local entrepreneurs to grow their businesses in Eastern Uganda.
Volunteers are fully trained in the prestigious Balloon Ventures Entrepreneurship Curriculum, and will use these newly acquired skills and knowledge to act as enterprise facilitators. Volunteers will work in small, cross-cultural teams of 2-3 and each team will manage their own caseload of entrepreneurs. The entrepreneurs will involve both existing businesses and start-ups and will operate across a diverse range of sectors.
It is the responsibility of the volunteers to work hard and create impact in the lives and businesses of their entrepreneurs. To do this they must be committed to work hard and participate in all the requirements of the programme. Towards the end of the programme the entrepreneurs will be eligible to pitch their businesses for a low-interest loan designed specifically to help young entrepreneurs, operating in the informal sector to start and grow their businesses.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure full participation in all aspects of the 11-week Balloon ICS programme
- Support a caseload of entrepreneurs to start and grow their businesses by providing dedicated and tailored support
- Work harmoniously and collaboratively as part of a diverse and cross-cultural team
- Be open to and learn from Balloon training and new and different approaches
- Positively overcome challenges and setbacks by focusing on solutions
- Have respect for those with values and ideas different from your own
- Live independently away from your home community
- Such other responsibilities that arise from time to time, commensurate with the level of responsibility of the post.
Key Result Areas:
- Entrepreneurs remain engaged throughout the programme with a low withdrawal rate
- Entrepreneur incomes, skills and knowledge are increased
- The team creates strong bonds and friendships across lines of nationality, culture, race, gender and religion
- Problems and issues are resolved positively and quickly by volunteers with minimal need for input from Balloon Ventures staff
- Accurate entrepreneur data is collected
- A culture of innovation and positive problem-solving is fostered and maximised
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants should preferably have experience in business/entrepreneurship
- Prior experience of team-based youth programmes is desired
- Prior volunteering experience is an added advantage
- Previous experience of working with different cultures
- The applicant should have the willingness to develop your knowledge and skills for starting or growing your own business after the placement
- Excellent communication skills (with proficiency in English)
- Highly motivated by making a positive impact in the community
- Be available to live and work full time away from home for 11 weeks
- Possess the confidence to make friends with people who are different from you
- Be smart and driven to learn new things
- Be open-minded to new ideas and values
- Have great hustle
- Possess good problem solving skills
- Ability to think on your feet and generate innovative and effective solutions
- Ability to plan and execute activities in a professional way, while remaining flexible and adaptable to change
- Be highly organised and driven, possessing the ability to work independently
- Chase success
- Possess an entrepreneurial and dynamic working culture
- The youth volunteers should be willing to live and work for 11 weeks on the Balloon ICS programme in an urban town in eastern Uganda
- Programme expenses will be covered including a small stipend
Duration: June 2017 – August 2017
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application forms online,
If you are shortlisted, you will be called to an assessment day.