Job Title: REACH FLAT Intern
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior FLAT Officer and Senior Assessment Officer
UNITAR Uganda Internships: The REACH FLAT Intern is responsible for supporting REACH Assessment Officer/ Manager to ensure the successful completion of assessments in Uganda. He/she will also be responsible for related logistics, data cleaning, focus group discussion facilitation, leading enumeration teams and any other reasonable tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in South Sudan and Uganda.
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
In 2018, REACH will expand its operations in Uganda addressing service delivery and information gaps in the refugee response across the country. REACH will provide direct support to UNHCR’s coordinated information management efforts through response gap analysis, coordinated needs assessments and geospatial analysis. The activities will be conducted in all refugee settlements across Uganda, from the South Sudanese response to the DRC and Burundian responses.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Management of ACTED FLATS Process for REACH: The REACH FLAT Intern will support the REACH Senior FLATS Officer and Country Focal Point through the systematization and management of all finance, logistics, administration, transportation, security processes. This will include, but not be limited to:
- Review financial documents from field exercises prior to submission to finance
- Gathering quotations and procuring items needed for REACH missions
- Arranging transportation to and from field locations for REACH
- Ensuring the timely submission of administrative paperwork such as attendance sheets and leave requests for REACH staff through the appropriate channels
- Tracking all REACH equipment in country through monthly stock takings.
Maintenance of REACH records: The REACH FLAT Intern will ensure that all paperwork related to ACTED FLATs process is maintained and filed in a clear and logical manner for easy retrieval in the REACH Drop Box account
Support for field operations: The REACH FLAT Intern will, when needed, deploy to field operating locations to support REACH activities. This will include, but not be limited to:
- In-field procurement
- Transport of cash, payment of wages for casual labourers
- Management of other FLATS processes
Other tasks: The REACH FLAT Intern will participate in other, undefined tasks that are necessary to support the REACH mission in Uganda. This will potentially include data collection, translation and liaising with local government officials.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries: The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every ACTED staff member.
Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Effective time management
- Management of ACTED FLATS process for the REACH team
- Clear record keeping and storage of documents
- Good work ethic
- Ad-hoc tasks assigned by manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized University
- At least two years of progressively responsible experience in humanitarian or development organizations
- Basic skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Prior knowledge of the region an asset
- Fluency in English required
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their CVs, cover letters, certified copies of Academic documents and daytime telephone contacts of three Professional referees at our office in Nsambya behind the American embassy. The subject line should read REACH FLAT Intern. You can also hand deliver your credentials to the ACTED Head Office, Plot 1102, Nsambya Road, Kampala. Uganda.
Deadline: 26th March 2018 by 5.00pm.