Job Title: Market Systems Trainee
Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs: The Market Systems Trainee will support the Market Systems Development team in implementing the related activities with in the region.
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The market systems trainee will take part in analyzing markets trends and suggesting activities towards access to new markets and business development opportunities for value chains in Karamoja region.
- The trainee will gain a strong understanding of the market systems approach and he/she is expected to use the knowledge to analyze the key growth and revenue drivers across the existing value chains.
- Provide daily support to the MSD officers and manager, including the preparation of background documents, research pieces, and presentations as needed.
- The trainee will be involved in field-level implementation, demonstrations on improved practices and technologies in collaboration with MSD Officers and other key stakeholders in the intervention areas. This will improve his/her ability to create and maintain functional partnerships based on mutual benefit and respect to achieve win – win outcomes.
- The trainee will work directly with the MSD officers to develop agent input/output and aggregator networks intended to increase local partners’ access to market information and financial services.
- The market systems trainee will gain hands on experience in strengthening private sector interventions in livestock and agriculture value chains, as well as scaling up financial inclusion and other products/services as relevant.
- The trainee will have a chance to experience how private sector led and project-support development is tailored to the unique needs, opportunities and constraints of women and youth in the intervention areas.
- Contribute to writing weekly and monthly program reports based on field inputs for review by the Market Systems Development officers
- Actively participate in Apolou private sector engagement tool development, implementation and lesson learning
- Mobilize and facilitate the engagements of stakeholders during planning and development meetings, workshops and other fora
- Write up accurate and timely reports pertaining to all planned activities in the required format and submit to the Market System Development Manager
- Document and maintain records pertaining to training, production activities forward issues to management for decisions and appropriate action in line with Mercy Corps policies
- All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Market Systems Trainee jobs at Mercy Corps must hold bachelor’s degrees in Microfinance, Agribusiness, Economics, Statistics, Business Studies and any other related field
- Previous experience in relationship building, data collection and reporting techniques.
- The candidate must be results oriented with the ability to think creatively and adapt to tense moments with minimal supervision. He/ She must be willing to work in rural settings in Karamoja region and interact freely with the program clients.
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-starter and able to work under minimal supervision.
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas.
- Flexibility and desirous to take on additional roles and responsibilities as opportunities and needs arise Knowledge of the local environment and fluency in languages like Pokot, Kiswahili and Nga’Karamajong will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their E-mail applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda to:
Deadline: 30th November 2018