Job Title: Junior Business Development Officer
Organization: Forcier Consulting
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Business Development Manager – East Africa
Forcier Consulting Jobs Uganda: The Junior Business Development Officer will act as a liaison to the Forcier Uganda and South Sudan Country Offices in order to provide accurate logistical, financial, and HR records to the rest of the global Business Development department, as well as contribute to business development activities in the region. This will include frequent writing of proposals, client mapping and meetings, as well as general administrative tasks relating to business development. The Junior Business Development Officer position is intended to serve as a trial period for both the employee and Forcier, with the hopes that after four months a full Business Development Officer position will be offered. If the four-month period is completed in satisfactory standing, the employee will transition to a full-time Business Development Officer for the following eight months.
Forcier is a multi-disciplinary research and monitoring & evaluation firm operating across Africa and the Middle East since 2011. Our core services include program evaluations, opinion polling, third-party monitoring, and capacity building for UN Agencies, NGOs, governments and private sector clients operating in post-conflict and challenging environments. Forcier currently has offices in South Sudan, Somalia, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Mozambique, and Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify opportunities through partner engagement and desk research
- Write proposals for Forcier projects in South Sudan, Uganda, East Africa, and other locations across Africa and the Middle East on an as-needed basis
- Assist the Research Team on various aspects of projects, including playing a role in select projects in order to gain valuable research experience
- Identify all potential partners, clients, and competitors in East Africa- and select other countries – and establish a database for contact management
- Establish contact with partners, clients, and competitors and represent Forcier in introductory meetings to explain our unique selling points/competitive advantages
- Build and maintain relationships with existing/new partners through routine contact
- Assist the Global Business Development Department by liaising with the South Sudan and Uganda Country Offices teams to provide information on country staffing, logistics, financial information, and project updates
- Assist in improving and maintaining new and existing business development resources (templates, CVs, promotional materials, databases, etc.)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs, Anthropology, Political Science, English, International Development Studies, or another relevant social science topic.
- Native fluency in English
- Effective ability to pro-actively prioritize and meet strict deadlines
- Interest in the East Africa region and South Sudan & Uganda in particular
- Ability to work independently and remotely with little oversight
- Strong Microsoft Office and Internet research skills
- Excellent communication skills
Preferred (but not required) skills:
- Experience with grant writing or training in business development
- Familiarity with research, including quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Experience with corporate marketing, branding, or graphic design
- Experience living or working in Africa
- Knowledge of the international development industry
How to Apply:
Please email applications to email@example.com with “Junior Business Development Officer – East Africa” in the subject line. Your application must include one single PDF containing your cover letter (in English), CV (in English), a writing sample (in English and no longer than 3 pages) with your name as the filename.
In your Cover Letter, please detail why you are interested in business development (including proposal writing), and why monitoring & evaluation is important for international development. Please do not summarize your CV – use the Cover Letter as an opportunity to convince us why you’d be the best fit for this business development position.
Deadline: 31st March 2019