Job Title: Intern – Environment and Climate
Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
UNDP Uganda Internship 2019: This internship is intended to familiarize the intern with the organization’s system. It will also benefit the intern with an understanding of multidimensional activities in the field of climate resilience, environment and sustainable development. The placement will impart practical knowledge and skills to the intern’s theoretical knowledge of international development issues climate resilience and the environment.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision by the allocated person, the intern will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide support to the department in climate and environment,
- Support in preparation of meetings, workshops, conferences and other gatherings
- Support in monitoring and tracking progress of activities and projects
- Assist in reviewing reports and other relevant documents and studies related to climate change and providing comments, where appropriate
- Engage in the collection and analyses for climate resilience information and data, assist in updating a database for on-going and pipeline projects on climate change mitigation by state and non-state actors if existing
- Participate in meetings, seminars, international and local fora, conferences and workshops, knowledge products and other applicable materials; and
- Any other responsibilities as may be allocated from the supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Analysis on effectiveness of programme with local wisdom element and knowledge product to be shared on knowledge session in the office
- Successful implementation of series of events/workshop as applicable and proper documentation lesson learnt of programme initiatives.
- Effective support to the analysis on strategic implementation of new initiatives for future programming
- Development of TORs, proper documentation of minutes of meeting and presentation materials
- Effective support for programme team in development information about project
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the United Nations UNDP Intern – Environment and Climate job placement must be enrolled on a tertiary institution programme (university degree or equivalent, or higher from a recognized institution) in Environmental Science/Climate Change or other relevant fields;
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a tertiary institution level in any of the fields listed above; and
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation
- Candidates must be able to adapt to an international, multicultural, multilingual environment, have good communication skills and can work in a team;
- Previous experience from volunteering or extra-curricular activities linked to the Vision and Mission of the UN would be considered an asset;
- Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrate commitment to UNDP mission, vision and values
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Functional Competencies
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English, and
- Willingness to travel to the field when required.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 22nd March 2019