Organization: Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO)
Duration: 10-12 weeks
About The VSO ICS Volunteering Program 2020
The VSO international citizen service volunteering program is an opportunity for young people to gain valuable skills and experience while bringing about lasting change in communities.
The International Citizen Service (ICS) is a UK Government funded program providing volunteer placements to 18-25-year-olds, and team leader placements to 23-35-year-olds in a number of countries around the world.
The VSO ICS Volunteering Program 2020
The International Citizen Service (ICS) makes the most of the unique contribution young people can bring to development passion, energy and the ability to reach other young people.
The program is available in livelihoods, health, and education. Every ICS team is made up of volunteers from the country where the project is running and volunteers from the United Kingdom and the European Union. It’s also currently available in Uganda, Kenya, Nepal, Nigeria, Tanzania, Zambia, Bangladesh, and Cambodia.
The VSO international citizen service volunteers work side-by-side with partners from the UK, staying with local families in the community and working on community development projects. The ICS is quite demanding but hugely rewarding as it’s a great opportunity for young people’s personal development, a stepping stone to future careers and a chance to make their world a better place.
Volunteer placements are only 10-12 weeks in length, and avail structured training and support throughout.
- Placements are unpaid, but you will receive all travel, food, and accommodation, as well as a small living allowance.
- There is no cost for you to volunteer.
Eligible students for the VSO international citizen service volunteering program can apply to be a Team Member (aged 18-25) or Team Leader (aged 23-35);
You don’t need any special skills to take part in ICS, but you must:
- be aged 18-25
- be committed to living and volunteering away from home for 10-12 weeks
- be willing to live in a family in the local community whilst on placement
- be committed to continuing your work in your home community after your placement
- not have taken part in ICS before – if you have, you can apply to be a Team Leader
- be resident in the country you’re applying from
Spending between three and eight months on placement, volunteers support and manage a diverse group of young people working together to benefit a host community. Team Leaders work in pairs, so they have a counterpart volunteer from the UK.
In order to volunteer as a Team Leader, you must meet the same criteria as for Team Members. In addition, you must:
- be aged 23 – 35
- have strong facilitation skills to help teams overcome challenges and achieve results
- be able to build trust to support individuals through difficult times
- be able to take an organized approach to project planning
- have communication skills to maintain effective relationships with stakeholders
- bring a mature and positive approach to challenges and realities of volunteering on ICS.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply by using this Word version of the ICS Application Form, which is compatible with screen readers.
Once you’ve completed the form, save it and email it to email@example.com.