Job Title: Database Assistant – Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2019
Organization: Mercy Corps Uganda
Duty Station: Moroto
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervision of enumerators collecting field data as needs arise.
Reports Directly To: Database Officer
Works Directly With: MEL Advisor, MEL Manager, MEL Officers, Activity Team Leads, Activity Team Members
Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2019: Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2019: Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps implements high quality- analytical work in tough environments. We’ve been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently manage a range of programs in Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja sub-regions with funding from a host of donors. In October 2017, Mercy Corps was awarded a 5 year USAID/ Food for Peace- funded program working in 4 districts in Karamoja (Amudat, Moroto, Kotido and Kaabong), the Apolou Activity. The Activity goal “improved food and nutrition security” has four purposes with cross cutting themes of gender and youth and resilience:
- Inclusive and effective governance contributes to food and nutrition security
- Improved health and nutritional status of pregnant and lactating women, children under five, and adolescent girls
- Improved WASH conditions
- Adolescent girls, adolescent boys, women and men access diverse and secure livelihoods through improved capacities and strengthened market systems
Apolou is implemented by a consortium of actors led by Mercy Corps, including Save the Children, Whave Solutions, four local partners (KAPDA, NARWOA and Riam Riam) and Tufts University’s Feinstein International Centre (FIC).
General Position Summary
The Database Assistant will work with the Mercy Corps Apolou Activity team as well as our local partner organizations to oversee and ensure the collection of quality M&E data for the program. The Database Assistant will be responsible for supporting the Database Officer to oversee the monitoring and data collection of the project, lead regular and annual field-based household and group interviews, analyze data to provide insight to project team, and contribute to report writing. S/he will ensure that performance monitoring and results reporting tools and processes across the entire program are in place, effectively implemented and well synchronized between the Activity sites. The Database Assistant may supervise teams of enumerators in data collection, data analysis, and reporting according to the needs of the Activity. The Database Assistant will be an integral member of the Activity team learning and reflection processes, leading discussion on beneficiary feedback.
Essential Job Responsibilities Essential Functions
- Work closely with the Apolou team and local partners, to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting of program activities and results.
- Work on maintaining participant tracking systems, with a primary focus on providing high-quality data to program teams.
- Proactively work to contribute to the development and improvement of the system’s functionality, enhancing data quality, and identifying areas of improvement well in time
- Work closely with program teams in devising new ways, and processes to improve the efficiency of data collection processes, and quality of collected data.
- Generate quality data analysis for reporting and learning purposes
- Maintain confidentiality and observe data protection and associated guidelines at all times.
- Develop data collection tools
- Provide database reports for team leads
- Perform spot checks on the team’s data collected and reports each month.
- Provide participant numbers to supervisors as need arises.
- Other duties as assigned.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to food security programming.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in management, statistics, economics, social science or related field.
- At least 1 year experience in a related role
- Good understanding and skills at data management, data flow and case management
- Strong knowledge of XLSform development and the use of Commcare, Ona, ODK and other mobile data collection platforms. Case management platforms are preferred
- Experience in data visualization and dashboard creation
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office applications expert knowledge of Excel is required, SQL is preferred
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Strong team coordination, listening, and consensus building skills.
- Fluent in both spoken and written English. Fluency in spoken N’Karamojong preferred.
- Able to drive a motorbike safely, valid license. Preferred but not required.
- The successful Database Assistant will combine exceptional management skills and keen attention to detail.
- S/he will have an ability to think creatively about operationalizing and improving the M&E system of the program.
- S/he will have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills.
- Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem-solving and simultaneous attention to detail as well as strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- A good sense of humour and the ability to learn from mistakes also goes a long way!
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in (Moroto, Uganda). The region is secure with access to most basic amenities.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
How to apply:
Submit your application through email to firstname.lastname@example.org to the Human Resource Director, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates.
Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Wednesday, 10th July, 2019.
The subject of email should include the position you are applying for.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply