Position: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Intern – Akola Academy Uganda Jobs
Location: Jinja, Uganda
Duration: 3 months minimum, longer-term negotiable
Start date: Multiple openings available, starting September 2019
Qualifications: Bachelors completed; current Masters students preferred
Reports to: Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
Akola Academy Uganda Jobs: The intern will provide support on all MEL activities and projects, including project design, field data collection, data entry, analysis, and reporting.
Akola’s Mission: To empower women in crisis to become self-sufficient agents of transformation in their lives, families and communities through economic development
Akola is a women’s empowerment social enterprise. We currently work with about 180 women in Jinja district, who are employed in jewelry production for our luxury jewelry brand (sold in major retailers throughout the US) while also participating in wraparound support programming tailored to develop them into empowered agents of transformation. Those programs include financial literacy and inclusion, health and wellness support, and entrepreneurship training.
We measure key outcomes in poverty alleviation and women’s empowerment through survey data as well as qualitative story harvesting methods. The MEL department is currently in a strong development period, pushing the envelope to rigorously capture outcomes and impact through innovative mixed methods approaches. We are seeking a motivated graduate student (or soon-to-be graduate student) who is interested in program evaluation, women’s empowerment, and international development issues and wants to gain hands-on experience in a global social enterprise environment.
Internship roles and responsibilities:
As a MEL intern, you will have the chance to be involved in a wide range of data collection and program evaluation projects, including:
- Survey design and data collection
- Case study collection and analysis
- Outcome harvesting (qualitative impact assessment)
- Ongoing program outcome monitoring processes, such as tracking members’ progress toward self-determined goals or analyzing savings group data
- Desk research, including finding and analyzing secondary data and researching methods and best practices in impact evaluation
- We believe in creating an internship program that will serve both the interests of the organization and the intern and will work with you collaboratively to identify priority projects.
Key tasks will include:
- Participating in project design- actively providing input on methods and strategies to achieve project objectives
- Supporting field data collection activities- participating in training, ensuring that field data collection activities run smoothly, and conducting interviews with program participants.
- Data entry and management- entering and organizing quantitative and qualitative data (likely a big portion of duties)
- Data analysis and reporting- generating statistical summaries of quantitative data; coding and analyzing qualitative data; summarizing findings in digestible reports, using effective data visualization
Qualifications and competencies:
- Current Masters students (in international development, economics, business, or a related field) preferred; will consider applicants who are currently between undergraduate and graduate studies. This position is not open to current undergraduates.
- You are fluent with basic data management and analysis methods
- You are familiar with basic program evaluation ideas, including results chains, theory of change, and common program evaluation methods
- You have a passion for global social justice work, particularly women’s empowerment; you are sensitive to power dynamics and privilege
- You are able to work effectively and adapt in a cross-cultural environment; you display a respectful and mature attitude toward different cultures, faiths, and ways of life; and you are comfortable living and working in a developing country environment
- You are a self-starter and are able to follow through on tasks with limited guidance; you are willing to take on new tasks and are flexible as needed; you are able to manage multiple tasks while consistently meeting deadlines
- You are curious and eager to learn!
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume and a letter of interest detailing your experience and why you want to join Akola in this internship position to email@example.com with the subject line “MEL Internship”. We will contact qualified candidates for an interview.
Deadline: Open (The employer will stop receiving applications when they get their preferred candidate)