Job Title: Counselors – MOH Uganda Jobs
No of Positions: 90
Organization: Ministry of Health (MOH) Uganda
Ministry of Health (MOH) Uganda Profile
The Ministry of Health (MOH) in collaboration with ICAP at Columbia University received funding from the United States Government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to implement the Uganda Population-based HIV Impact Assessment (UPHIA) survey. The goal of the survey is to characterize HIV prevalence, incidence, viral load, CD4+ cell distribution, and HIV risk behaviours at a household level nationally, and to assess the coverage and impact of HIV services at the population level using a nationally representative sample of adults and children. The survey aims to enrol approximately 13,000 households across the entire country over a period of at least 7 months.
In order to achieve the survey goals, survey teams being constituted will be deployed throughout the country to undertake various tasks and responsibilities, taking into consideration personnel skills and qualifications, and ability to read and write in English and at least one of the seven (7) major languages spoken in Uganda namely; Ateso, Ngakaramajong, Luganda, Lugbara, Luo, Runyakore-Rukiga, Runyoro-Rutoro.
The Ministry of Health seeks to recruit Counsellors. These will be be required to provide quality HIV testing and counselling services. He/she will be responsible for all home-based counselling activities in the household such as pre-test counselling, the return of results of rapid tests performed in the household such as HIV, post-test counselling and HIV risk assessments.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Collect all materials needed for fieldwork.
- Safely maintain the tablet and ensure that it is charged when needed.
- Must be able to complete interviews on the tablets with accuracy and reasonable speed.
- Approach participants as assigned by the Team Leader.
- Conduct interview consent procedures using the tablet.
- Conduct individual interviews using the tablet.
- Conduct biomarker consent procedures using the tablet.
- Provide HIV counselling services at the household level
- Prepare participants to take the HIV, test by carrying out pre-test counselling
- Assess and explore participant’s HIV risk and offer risk reduction options
- Provide appropriate post-test counseling and referrals
- Identify participants who are in need of referrals. Provides such participants with appropriate referrals by completing the relevant referral form.
- Inform the Team Leader of interviews completed and partially completed on a daily basis.
- Schedule return visits for any incomplete interviews.
- The Interviewer will be reporting to the Team Leader for the particular team.
- Any other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Minimum educational requirement: Diploma in social sciences, biological sciences, or related field.
- Preference is given to those with HIV testing and counselling certification.
- Ability to read and speak fluently in English and at least one main local language in the geographical areas where they are posted to work.
- Able to work with computers and tablets.
- Must have good organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Past experience working in large population surveys such as UPHIA, AIS and DHS
- Able to work on the program continuously for at least 7 months.
- Attend all technical training as outlined by survey Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Willingness and commitment to work away from home and travel continuously.
- Must be able to organize oneself and work independently of close supervision.
- Ability to adapt to local field conditions.
- Must be a team worker and player.
- Must be available to attend didactic training starting in November 2019
- Must be able to start work by the beginning of Jan 2020.
**Some Counselors may be assigned supervisory roles (regional supervisors and team leads) once the training period is complete.
How to apply:
All interested candidates who wish to join our organization should apply online at the link below.
Please take note of the following:
i) Make sure your name is included in the application; and
ii) Prepare to upload your Cover Letter and CV in pdf.
Deadline: October 06, 2019
While we would have loved to send a personal response to every applicant, due to the high number of applications, that is not possible. If you do not hear from us two weeks after the closing date, please consider the application unsuccessful- do try again in future.