Job Title: Assistant Accountant – Platform for Labour Action Jobs
Organization: Platform for Labour Action (PLA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Platform for Labour Action (PLA) Profile:
The platform for Labour Action (PLA) is a national human rights civil society organization that was founded in 2000. PLA focuses on human rights and seeks to promote and protect the rights of the vulnerable and marginalized workers through the empowerment of communities and the individual. Our target population includes children in exploitative forms of work, children at risk of exploitation, informal sector workers infected and affected by HIV/AIDS, women and youth and workers earning below UGX. 300,000/= per month.
The Assistant Accountant will be responsible for the day to day maintenance and management of books of accounts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop annual budgets and forecasts involving relevant staff and coordinate the budget management system
- Prepare annual financial statements and prepare for year-end accounts in advance of the annual audit
- Produce monthly income and expenditure statements and analyze variance for review by PLA Management on the project
- Maintain, monitor cash flow and ensure that there are sufficient funds always available in the banks
- Ensure all staff and volunteers are adhering to financial procedures and policies and ensure that all financial transactions are accurate and properly accounted for
- Regularly prepare quarterly financial reports as required by donor and PLA’s board
- Ensure weekly reports are prepared and shared with Senior Accountant
- Regularly update all the accounting records and books of accounts such as ledgers and journals for the project
- Maintain a computerized system (Navision) for the project’s income and expenditures
- Ensure that all payments for supplies and/or projects activities are in accordance with relevant PLA regulations and approved work plans/budgets
- Prepare and manage payroll and other statutory payments
- Manage and administer PLA petty cash and reimbursement of staff expenses
- Manage petty cash and prepare monthly petty cashbooks, and ensure that all petty book-keeping and coding is accurate.
- Withdraw and deposit cash and on PLA’s bank accounts on behalf of the organization
- Manage and monitor bank accounts and the transfer of money between PLA and donor and to partner under the specific project
- Ensure that bank reconciliation, as well as debtors and creditors statements, are monitored monthly
- Ensure that checkbooks, purchase order books, invoices, etc are in place, well accounted for and are kept in safe and secure custody.
- Write and issue cheques to suppliers and going to the bank for bank statements
- Ensure proper filing of vouchers with proper supporting documents and proper files.
- Ensure procurement guidelines are followed for procurement of any general items and consumable
- Participate in the procurement committee meeting and together with members agree on items and service providers to use under the project
- Ensure timely payments are made to procured items based on approved budgets
Fundraising & Partnerships
- Provide accurate and timely reports to donors
- Support the development of budgets for new proposals and preparation of financial information
- Provide financial information to Management to inform decision making
- Ensure that donor funds are received as per disbursement agreements and that expenditures are coded for each donor
- Perform any other duties assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor of Commerce accounting or BBA – accounting option
- At least two years of working experience
- Proficiency in IT skills with thorough knowledge of computer packages such as Navision
- Person of integrity with analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong skills in planning, organizing and problem-solving and a results-driven attitude.
How to Apply for Platform for Labour Action Jobs – Assistant Accountant:
Send your application in writing, including a motivation letter, curriculum vitae, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Handwritten applications can be delivered to Plot 14 Martyrs Line Ntinda off Kira Road P.O Box 9714 Kampala – Uganda
Deadline: 13th January 2020
NB: No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.