Job Title: Graduate Trainee Information Technology (IT) – IDI Uganda Jobs 2020
Vacancy Code: GTITA0X01
Reports To: Software Development Manager
Duration: Full time, a period of 6 months
Organization: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) Profile:
The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases through research and capacity development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab) and Health Systems Strengthening.
The Ugandan Academy for Health Innovation and Impact was formed following an MOU between the Ugandan Ministry of Health, Infectious Diseases Institute, Janssen, the pharmaceutical companies of Johnson & Johnson, and the Johnson & Johnson Corporate Citizenship Trust. The Academy is implementing mHealth technologies in the areas of clinical care, research, capacity building and health systems strengthening to improve health care and on utilizing effective sub granting mechanisms to support and deliver solutions. In addition, The Ugandan Academy is an organization a conference to promote and stimulate innovative solutions regarding health. The overall aim is achieving sustainable health care accessible to all in Uganda.
In order to achieve the above objectives, IDI seeks to recruit a motivated and competent Information Technology (IT) Trainee as indicated below.
The responsibilities of the selected candidate will include aspects of server administration, software deployment and integration, resolving tickets and supporting the IT/IS department within IDI to provide robust and reliable services at the office and our various clinic and research sites. The ideal candidate should be technically competent with great interpersonal skills.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for assisting with the deployment and maintenance of the Academy’s applications and IT platforms
• Keep a record of all IT assets in the Academy and support maintenance of assets
• Participate in ongoing daily system monitoring, operation, and administrative team tasks to ensure the proper functioning and usability of all running systems and applications.
• Provide out of hours diagnostic and troubleshooting support as required
• Monitor and report on resource utilization and help to plan continuous process improvement
• Monitor and test application/system performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with the team to implement those fixes
• Compile and maintain system documentation
• Assist with software rollout
• Participate in systems testing and documentation of the results
• Interact with clients and other IDI team members at our various implementation sites both in person and remotely
• Researching new technology and making recommendations
• Maintain current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned
• Participate in special projects as required
• Liaise with Academy collaborators including government agencies and suppliers
• Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer science or a related field.
• One year’s (informal) experience supporting both Windows and Linux based systems
• Good organizational and administrative skills e.g. resourcefulness, good verbal and written communication
• Experience in setting up and monitoring systems, hardware troubleshooting, fault tracking and resolution, and routine maintenance with recurrent patching
• Experience with management of virtualization technologies such as VMWare, AWS, Azure and GCP
• Knowledge of IT asset set up and troubleshooting
• Knowledge of Active Directory, Windows Server, Windows and Office 2013+
• Knowledge of programming/scripting in Linux and Windows (i.e. Python, Power shell)
• Knowledge of database configuration, management, and administration using SQL Workbench, MS SQL Server Management Studio or similar
• Familiarity with networking concepts and working with Cisco and/or Fortinet systems
• Familiarity with IT Security principles
• The familiarity of telecommunications engineering
• A high level of attention to detail and ability to problem-solve
• Proven ability to work in a collaborative, team environment
• Proven communication and customer service skills
• Self-motivated person who takes the initiative to accomplish tasks
• Desire to learn and grow others is a must
How To Apply:
Candidates that meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in these positions should send their CVs, including details of email address, present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address.
Email your application and CV to email@example.com
Deadline: not later than 16th February 2020.
1. IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
2. Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
3. Make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached as one PDF document
4. Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject line of your email
5. Please note that if you DO NOT indicate the vacancy code as instructed above, your application will not be considered
6. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
7. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For inquiries, please contact:
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute — IDI Knowledge Centre, Makerere University Main Campus
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda