Job Title: Library Assistant – Soroti University Jobs 2020
Salary Scale: (M12)
Responsible to: Librarian II
Responsible for: Office Assistant
Age of Applicant: (30-50 years)
To aid in the smooth management and operations of the library and library services
Soroti University Profile:
Soroti University is the 9th Public University in Uganda which was gazetted on 16th July 2015 under Statutory Instrument 2015 No 34. The University is located in Eastern Uganda, 7km from Soroti Town on Soroti-Moroto road. The strategic mandate of the University is to offer knowledge and carry out research in fields of Health Sciences, Engineering, Technology, Applied Science, Science Education, Business, Entrepreneurship disciplines and Value Addition courses.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the circulation of information materials to patrons
- Carry out book processing including classification and cataloguing both manually and electronically
- Compile and submit circulation and other reports.
- Preparation of bibliographies and webliographies of materials for procurement
- Ensure that all library materials and facilities are available for use.
- Perform stock checks, and prepare item list for removal, relocation and binding.
- Keep records of periodicals and serial publications
- Receiving returned books as well as sorting and shelving library materials
- Participate in the conduct of library promotional activities
- Maintain library clean, safe and organized.
- Assist patrons in finding reading materials and help in solving reference questions.
- Process new books, maintain circulation records and make reserves on requested books
- Check-in deliveries of interlibrary loan materials and new arrivals.
- Assist in registering new patrons and maintaining and updating patron’s profiles.
- Handle Library Security matters according to library regulations.
- Should be able to run e-library or virtual library.
- Perform other related work as may be required
- Classified and catalogued information materials in place.
- Well managed and organized circulation activities.
- Timely compilation of circulation and other library reports
- List of bibliographies and webliographies for procurement.
- Checked stocks and prepared list for removal, relocation and binding purposes.
- Effective management of records.
- Well sorted and properly shelved library materials.
- An organized, safe and tidy conducive reading and learning environment.
- Easy retrieval of materials for patrons with good attention to reference questions.
- Registered patrons with up-to-date patron’s profiles and records.
- Diploma in Library and Information Science from a recognized Institution with a minimum of 3 years of work experience.
- Advanced Knowledge in Integrated Library Management System (KOHA).
- Good customer relations.
- Computer literacy and knowledge of digital libraries.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and good problem-solving ability.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Effective time management.
- Interest in books and reading.
- Teamwork and collaboration.
- Assessment of resources and information needs of users
How To Apply For Soroti University Jobs 2020 – Diploma Library Assistant:
Six (6) copies of applications should be submitted together with up to date Curriculum Vitae giving details of the applicant’s age, marital status, academic and professional qualification, working experience, present post and salary, telephone contact, email address, copies of the certificates and testimonials.
All applications should be addressed to:
P. 0. BOX 211 Soroti, Uganda
So as to reach the University Secretary not later than Tuesday 13th March 2020.
The Applicants should make sure that at least two Referees have forwarded references (undersealed envelopes) concerning their applications by the time of submission of the application.
Applications can be delivered either online to email@example.com in a PDF format or through registered mail (by post) or hand-delivered.
Note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Soroti University is an equal opportunity employer and therefore applicants of both gender and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.