Job Title: Technical Assistant Agribusiness – OPM Uganda Jobs 2020
Duty Station: DINU Office in Dokolo District
Organization: OFFICE OF THE PRIME MINISTER
Reports To: Assistant Program Officer Market Access
The Development Initiative for Northern Uganda (DINU), a Government of Uganda Programme supported by the European Union (EU) and supervised by Office of the Prime Minister. Together with a consortium of partners, the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) has received a grant to implement an action named “Building resilience to enhance food and nutrition security, incomes and health in Northern Uganda”. This will be implemented in seven districts of Amolatar, Apac, Dokolo, Otuke and Kwania in Lango sub-region, and Kapelebyong and Amuria in Teso Sub-region.
Under the Market Access and Value addition Unit of the IITA-led action, Kilimo Trust and Rikolto International both consortium partners are responsible for activities of the Increased Market Accessibility Component including facilitating the building and strengthening of market systems, scouting for market opportunities and establishing long term business relationships among value chain actors.
To establish linkages between farmer groups, other value chain actors and also create opportunities for
them to access business development services including finance.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- In liaison with the Assistant Program Officer, develop detailed project activity work plans and
budgets annually and quarterly.
- Provide advice on business planning, financial management and day-to-day management of
- Provide technical support to farmer-led enterprises in terms of leveraging their capacities to
become more business-oriented and profitable.
- Design appropriate strategies for addressing policy gaps that exist with regard to the project
- Provides training of extension service providers, farmers, traders and other value chain actors
on the best business management and post-harvest practices.
- Strengthen the value chain actors for continuous end-to-end market linkages to increase
efficiency in inputs and output markets.
- Develop work plans for the farmer groups and other value chain actors engaged by the project.
- Conduct regular assessment on market demands and requirements and disseminate to stakeholders.
- Engage with Local Governments to interface with cooperatives, rural producer organizations, farmer groups, traders and processors to improve the policy environment.
Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning:
- Collect project data monthly to input into the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
- Implement MEL strategies and processes in collaboration with DINU project MEL Officer.
- Ensure capturing of accurate baseline data and establish database for tracking physical and financial performance of partnerships created.
- Prepare quarterly progress reports and documentation of success stories, lessons and
- Perform accurate data analysis and interpretation of results.
Finance and Administration:
- Comply with project financial controls, regulations and operational guidelines.
- Review financial reports of business partnerships being managed
Information and Communication:
- Introduce innovation in ICT to increase efficiency while implementing project deliverables.
- Manage and maintain strategic relationships with all stakeholders and partners.
- Support the Market Access Component Head in preparation of timely reports on project
activities; consolidate findings and prepare reports.
- Review data and information generated by the projects’ activities and produce knowledge
products with quantifiable indicators.
- Prepare documentation of best practices including writing/editing articles, press releases,
lessons learnt and other learning materials.
- Disseminate materials developed.
- Ensure that value chain members are informed and can respond quickly when the market
Educational Qualifications and Experience Required
- A diploma or degree in agriculture, or agricultural economics, agribusiness management or
any relevant agricultural-related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressive experience implementing agricultural programs/
projects or handling similar activities.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
- Experience in capacity building for smallholder farmers and another agricultural value chain
- Ability to Speak and write any of the local languages used in Amolatar, Apac, Dokolo, Otuke
and Kwanza in Lango sub-region, and Kapelebyong and Amuria in Teso Sub-region.
Relationship / Interpersonal skills
- Ability to consult, seek advice, facilitate discussions, support others, solve conflicts and establish
trust, credibility and respect among colleagues and partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to build mutually beneficial partnerships with value chain actors in consortia to enhance
efficiency and profitability across the target value chains.
How To Apply for OPM Uganda Jobs 2020 – Diploma Agribusiness Technical Assistant:
If you are the right candidate, please send your application letter plus the following:
- An up-to-date CV, highlighting relevant skills and experience (presented in relation to each of the
Responsibilities and each of the experience areas listed above).
- Copies of Academic Certificate and Transcripts for O’ level, A’ level – where applicable, Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate qualifications.
- The names and contacts of your immediate supervisor(s) in the current job and two of your immediate previous jobs.
- Your daytime contact telephone number; and A statement and proof of current remuneration package
Please submit your application electronically to:
The Human Resource & Administration Manager
Plot No. 42, Princess Anne Drive
Bugolobi P.O. Box 71782,
Tel: +256 392 264 980/1, 0200 926 498
Deadline: 20th March 2020