Job Title: Program Assistant – Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2020
Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Mercy Corps Uganda Profile:
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Working in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps has applied market-driven solutions to communities across the country, equipping individuals and households with the knowledge, skills and confidence to generate improvements in their access to markets, livelihoods, health, nutrition, and security, in order to improve their overall resilience.
The Program Profile:
Mercy Corps Uganda has secured funding from BPRM in a consortium with the International Rescue Committee (IRC, as lead agency) and Young African Refugees for Integral Development (YARID) to implement a 9-month program entitled “Provision of essential services to meet the basic needs of at-risk urban refugees in response to COVID-19”. The emergency program will focus on addressing the negative impacts of COVID-19 on urban refugees in Kampala. The program will prioritize critical activities outlined in UNHCR’s Business Continuity Plan (BCP) for urban refugees and will build off IRC’s existing BPRM-funded three-year project, by scaling up essential protection and information services, expanding cash and in-kind interventions to meet to meet the basic needs of refugee households and small businesses, and engaging with refugee community structures and associations to lead local response efforts. Mercy Corps will lead on the livelihood component of this program, which includes activities such as basic need cash transfer grants for three months for 320 households, micro-enterprise development grants for 82 entrepreneurs and rapid recovery grants for 73 micro entrepreneurs. MC will work closely with the consortium partners and relevant authorities including refugee leaders to ensure the different components of the program work together effectively to reach the desired impact.
Mercy Corps is looking for an experienced, qualified candidate to fill the position of Program Assistant to support the Program Officer in implementation of livelihood activities on targeting Urban refugees and host communities in Kampala. The specific activities will include building positive relationships with local authorities, protection centres, ensure routine monitoring of activities, work planning and compiling activity reports and after-action-reviews to inform decision-making processes. S/he will be a creative, action-oriented, with strong experience in partnership management.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work in liaison with the program officer, organize and support inception and follow up meetings with key stakeholders in the program areas.
- Liaise with consortium partners and other stakeholders to ensure that the intended participants, are targeted by the program as per the pre-established vulnerability criteria for registration to cause impact.
- Support in the development of the beneficiary registration tool as per the agreed upon livelihood pathways for the participants.
- Clean datasets, ensuring that graduated participants to are removed from eligibility.
- Conduct participants’ and merchant verifications, as well as standardized post-distribution monitoring
- Under guidance of the Program Officer and Senior MEL Officer, participate in any market assessments and baseline/end line surveys.
- Participate in routine data collection to track progress of livelihood initiatives within the program areas.
- Prepare and submit timely weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports that will be indicative of program progress during implementation.
- Respond to queries if and when necessary by ensuring that the complaints mechanism is functional and individual complaints are addressed.
- Maintain proper filing system with activity reports, attendance lists and pictures.
- Establish and maintain good coordination and working relationships with division authorities, representing Mercy Corps and soliciting participation in activities where appropriate and as directed.
- Ensure close coordination and sharing of information with relevant stakeholders such as KCCA division authorities, local authorities and implementing partners including NGOs and CSOs as appropriate and advised by the Program Manager.
- Work closely with the consortium partners, share and request for relevant information on the program.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps Uganda and to not jeopardize its humanitarian and development mission.
- Ensure participants’ protection policies are adhered to and implement post distribution monitoring and evaluation system to measure intended and unintended impacts, including monitoring of gender based violence
- Ensure data protection policies are adhered to, establishing security controls for software, hardware and archive participants’ databases.
- As part of Mercy Corps Uganda’s commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit the program as well as themselves.
- The applicant should preferably hold a Diploma in social sciences, development studies or related fields.
- Experience of at least one year working with communities to improve their livelihoods through savings and loan associations, micro-enterprise grants, business linkages, social networking etc. is desirable.
- The candidate must possess good mobilization skills, Excellent teamwork abilities and interpersonal skills.
- The candidate must possess verbal and written communication skills with good command of the English language. Knowledge of other languages including Luganda, Kiswahili, French and Arabic is an added advantage.
- Computer literacy with a full knowledge of Microsoft office applications.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity and enthusiasm as well as a willingness to learn and to be continually adaptive within a dynamic and often self-directed working environment mandatory.
- Proactive, problem-solving action orientation is essential.
- The ideal candidate will have the ability and curiosity to work comfortably and effectively with a diverse vulnerable group in Kampala consisting of Urban refugees and host communities. S/he will be an excellent communicator, have a strong sense of humor, multi-tasker, and able to work in difficult and often stressful environments. S/he will be committed to the work of Mercy Corps and the objectives of this program. He/she will demonstrate their dedication with a strong work ethic, attention to detail and creative problem solving.
How to Apply for Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2020 – Fresher Diploma Program Assistant:
All candidates who wish to join Mercy Corps in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 17th June 2020