Job Title: Nutrition Assistants – IRC Uganda Jobs 2020
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC) Uganda.
Duty Station: Kiryandongo, Uganda
International Rescue Committee Profile:
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee ( www.rescue.org ) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict-affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC began programming in northern Uganda in 1998 in response to mass displacement and devastation wrought by rebel group, the Lord’s Resistance Army. In 2002, the IRC expanded to the remote, conflict-affected region of Karamoja and in 2011, began working with refugees in Kampala and Kiryandongo settlement. Monitoring the influx of South Sudanese refugees at the end of 2015, the IRC began scaling up its response to refugees arriving in the West Nile region. By promoting durable solutions that deliver on the interdependent aims of saving lives, strengthening institutions, and supporting social cohesion, the IRC in Uganda is laying the building blocks for long-term stability and development –bringing people from harm to home. The IRC works in 12 districts in Uganda, including Kitgum, Lamwo, Kotido, Moroto, Napak, Nakapiripirit, Kaabong, Amudat, Kiryandongo, Adjumani, Yumbe, and Kampala.
IRC is currently looking for enthusiastic, hardworking and self-motivated persons to join our team to support the effective delivery of the organization’s mission.
The Nutrition Assistant will be based in Yumbe and shall be responsible for providing health education talks, screening to children, women and their partners in the health facility and in the community on nutrition related issues. S/he will provide anthropometric assessment, recording, referral and linking clients to respective service points and shall maintain environment friendly working space hence adhering to infection control and prevention practices. S/he will provide nutrition services including but not limited to counseling, linkage and preparing treatment for the clients.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Participate in screening at the triage of children under the age of five to monitor and ensure early detection of malnutrition cases
- Providing guidance on the purchasing of food and planning hospital meals.
- Designing special diets for therapeutic purposes.
- Participating in community outreach services for adequate nutrition.
- Participating in research activities.
- Will be supporting the admissions of severe malnutrition cases following properly laid down standards.
- Prepare and feeding of severely malnourished patients under observation in the inpatient wards.
- Will be responsible for case management of malnutrition patients on follow-ups and those on ward and ensure that all routine medications are administered appropriately.
- To counsel and advise in-patients/follow-ups/parents/guardians on proper care and nutrition at home.
- To carry out home visits as a follow up on discharged patients to ensure adherence of the clients on the nutrition programmes.
- Support the EPI department through carrying out routine growth monitoring activities and ensuring that all malnourished children have child health cards
- Ensure that all the stored food supplements are safe and free from contamination and theft and the store is clean all the time.
- Ensure the kitchen for preparation of therapeutic milk for severely malnourished children and the surrounding environment is clean, hygienic and well maintained.
- Prepare and submit the nutrition reports for both the in patients and out patients as guided by the nutrition officer.
- Imparting knowledge and skills to staff.
- Adhering to Professional Code of Conduct and Ethics.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Diploma in Human Nutrition and dietetics
- Should be registered with the related Institution
- 2 years of working experience in Nutrition
How To Apply for IRC Uganda Jobs 2020:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join us in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: Monday, July 13th,2020