Job Title: Legal Officer – IRC Uganda Jobs 2020
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC) Uganda.
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
Reports to: Legal Manager
International Rescue Committee (IRC) Profile:
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
Under the supervision of Legal Manager, she/he will identify legal needs in the field; provide counselling and information. The Legal Officer will be responsible for conducting legal information sessions, legal case management and follow-ups, awareness creation on rights and obligations of refugees under Ugandan Laws. She/he will work with communities particularly to ensure access to legal assistance is accessible by all. He/she will be part of an integrated protection team, working on issues on general protection and sexual and gender-based violence issues.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Together with Protection Officers support community leadership structures in their crime prevention and response functions.
- Provide legal counselling and information to refugees and other persons of concern.
- Conduct legal information sessions on human rights and key Laws relating to the protection of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Conduct case management and follow up on legal cases with relevant authorities.
- Closely work with Police to provide necessary assistance to survivors, clients and witnesses.
- Submit daily and weekly data, including narrative of high-risk cases to inform appropriate actions.
- Support to analyze data, highlight trends and legal protection needs of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Participate in external meetings aimed at promoting access to justice for refugees and legal assistance such as meetings involving UNHCR, OPM and partners.
- Work closely with the Protection Officers to ensure linkages and referrals are done in a safe, effective, and timely manner.
- The ideal candidate for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Legal Officer job placement must hold a degree in Law from a recognized university. Diploma holders in law from a recognized institution with demonstrable work experience in the field of law may be considered.
- At least two (2) years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international Organization, a law firm or human rights organization.
- Understanding of human rights and issues relating to gender equality
- Strong written and verbal communication ability in English
- Ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- Good understanding of Ugandan and Refugee Law;
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience in regular report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment
How To Apply for IRC Uganda Jobs 2020:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join us in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 15th July 2020
Subscribe to Blog via Email