Job Title: Project Accounts Assistant – LVFO Uganda Jobs 2020
Organization: Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) Uganda
Duty Station: Plot 7B/E Bell Avenue, Jinja
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) Profile:
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) is an institution of the East African Community (EAC) charged with the management and development of fisheries and aquaculture. It was formed by a Convention in 1994 with major amendments in 2016. It is accommodated under Article 9.3 of EAC Treaty and registered as a regional fisheries management organization under the FAO UN Charter CAP 102. The overall objective of the LVFO is to promote sustainable management and development of the fisheries and aquaculture in order to contribute to food security and economic growth in the EAC region. LVFO has received funding from EU through FAO to implement the TRUEFISH project. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the development of a competitive, gender-equitable and sustainable commercial aquaculture sector in order to support economic development and sustainable management of natural resources in the Lake Victoria basin. The project will deliver three result areas which include BUSINESS (access to commercial networks), SKILLS (availability and quality of local skilled workers in aquaculture-related businesses) and SUSTAINABILITY (sustainable and bio-secure regional aquaculture production systems).
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide support in coordinating budgeting, payment and accounting services:
- Ensure compliance with financial regulations and rules. Serve as
- Assist in ensuring that the financial procedures and practices implemented, conform to EU and/or EAC Financial Regulations and directives.
- Assist in preparing all Project financial statements in a timely manner.
- Participate in the budget development process in liaison with the relevant desk officers in the organization of program work plans for financial review.
- Assist in ensuring that budgetary estimates are prepared in accordance with Project requirements and planned activities implemented in time and within the approved allocated budget lines.
- Providing information, analyses, explanations, and documentation in response to requests on budgetary matters from the relevant stakeholders
- Assist in ensuring timely budget preparation, implementation and reporting.
- Advise the Supervisor on the implementation of the approved budget and execute decisions taken regarding allocation and allotment of appropriations.
- Report on the state of the Project finances to the Head of Finance for deliberations and decision-making on programme budgeting, finance and accounts.
- Develop proposals for budgetary transfers, supplementary appropriations and management of surpluses.
- Assist the Supervisor in ensuring appropriate financial reports, statements and other accountability reports are prepared in a timely manner, for submission to the Auditors.
- Ensure accurate maintenance and updating of income and expenditure accounts for the Project:
- Ensure the proper receipt, custody and disbursement of funds and oversee the banking and currency arrangements.
- Manage the payments system and Records Register
- Monitor and follow up on outstanding receivables and liabilities of the project both in the project journal and for transactions done through the official journal and ensures timely costly booking.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Manage the cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts in accordance with EU rules and regulations.
- Reconcile sub-ledgers in the system in a timely manner to identify any irregularities, mis-postings and raise correction journals for the Head of Finance’s certification
- Prepare funds requisitions in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the Trial Balance is balancing at any given time
- Ensure access to timely, accurate and useful information with regard to the financial status of the project.
- Report to the supervisor on budget/programme performance or substantive issues, as appropriate, particularly those presented in annual or triennial reports.
- Ensure that the reports are prepared in a timely manner.
- Manage foreign currency exchange gain/loss.
- Actively participates in project selection and valuation, audit and compliance reviews together with the Supervisor.
- Assist in formulating responses to internal and external auditors.
- Prepare periodical reports of the project
- Assist in preparation of a funds requisition to the donor
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- A diploma (or academic equivalent) with specialization in accounting, financial management, business administration or a related field.
- Possession of a university degree and/or professional accounting qualification (CPA, ACCA or equivalent) is an added advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience in accounting, financial management, business administration, or a related field.
- Experience with international accounting systems and financial operations management is an added advantage.
- Experience with corporate performance management in the public or private sector.
- Experience in managing programmes/projects within an international or regional organization, national government, or other public or private organization.
- Experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
How To Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above-mentioned positions are advised to submit their application letter, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and a copy of National Identity Card, or Passport online through this system by clicking the button labelled “Apply Now”
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Thursday, 3rd September 2020 at 17:00hrs local time (East Africa Time).
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates, or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
- LVFO Staff Rules and Regulations precludes consideration of applicants above fifty-five (55) years of age
- LVFO does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
The Executive Secretary
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
Busoga Square Plot No. 7B/E Bell Avenue
P. O. Box 1625, Jinja – Uganda.
Tel: +256 434 125000