Job Title: Laboratory Technologist – MRC/UVRI Uganda Jobs 2020
Organization: MRC/UVRI Uganda
Duty Station: Entebbe
MRC/UVRI Uganda Profile:
The Unit is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Performing immunological and molecular assays on stored samples. These include Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assays, multiplex bead assay, ELISPOT and PCR;
• Performing external proficiency testing;
• Participating in study participant samples processing and storage (including PBMC isolation and cryopreservation) following standard operating procedures;
• Participating in archiving of samples using the freezer works system;
• Developing and reviewing standard operating procedures;
• Data analysis and presentation of data in laboratory meetings, national and international conferences or meetings;
• Writing manuscripts for peer reviewed journals publication when required;
• Training new staff, students, interns and visiting scientists in laboratory safety and assay procedures;
• Entry of laboratory specimen data in computer based programmes;
• Adhering to and implementing Good Clinical Laboratory Practices in the laboratory. These include regular cleaning and disinfecting equipment, tracking equipment servicing requirements, monitoring temperatures and liquid nitrogen levels, backing up data, running equipment performance quality controls and proper documentation; • Tracking procurement and delivery of laboratory supplies;
• Ensuring there are adequate reagents and study materials in the laboratory;
• Participating in laboratory meetings and journal clubs, and in the organisation of these activities;
• Attending scientific meetings and seminars on compass and elsewhere if required; and,
• Performing any other general activities as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
• Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences;
• Experience working in a laboratory setting;
• At least 6 months’ experience working in a research laboratory;
• Knowledge of at least two immunological laboratory techniques such as PBMC isolation and cryopreservation, Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assays, ELISPOT and molecular assays such as PCR;
• Equipment troubleshooting skills / GCLP/ documentation skills;
• Computer skills with proficiency in Word, Excel, Access & Power point;
• Great writing and communication skills; and,
• Good interpersonal skills.
How To Apply for MRC/UVRI Uganda Jobs 2020
Interested candidates should send your application and complete Curriculum Vitae via the link below:
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity while filling the form is required and will be considered during shortlisting.
Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & academic documents into one PDF document.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Deadline: 29th December 2020
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.