Job Title: Laboratory Technologist – MRC/UVRI Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: MRC/UVRI Uganda
MRC/UVRI Uganda Profile:
The Unit is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer.
Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018.
To support fulfilling immunology sample processing and testing needs under a recently funded
COVID-19 research project within the Immunomodulation and Vaccines (I-Vac) Programme.
The study known as the CoHost/ECO study aims to determine the impact of co-infections and
host genetics on susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 disease severity in
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
- Development and implementation laboratory analytical plan;
- Receiving, processing and storing study participant samples following standard operating
- Performing immunological and molecular assays on stored samples. These include but are not limited to enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs) and polymerase chain
reaction (PCR) tests;
- Processing and storing samples (including peripheral blood mononuclear cell isolation and cryopreservation) following standard operating procedures;
- The entry of laboratory specimen data in computer-based programmes;
- Adhering to and implementing Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP) in the lab. These include regular cleaning and disinfecting equipment, tracking equipment servicing.
- Tracking procurement and delivery of laboratory supplies;
- Ensuring there are adequate reagents and study materials in the laboratory. They will also ensure there are adequate blood collection materials at the clinic sites of the CoHost/ECO studies;
- Development and review of standard operating procedures;
- Ensuring all lab activities are carried out with health and safety requirements in mind;
- Participate in laboratory meetings and journal clubs, and in the organisation of these activities;
- Data analysis and presentation of data in lab meetings, national and international conferences or meetings;
- Training new staff, students, interns and visiting scientists in laboratory safety and assay procedures;
- Deputise and assist the laboratory manager in any duties assigned; and,
- Perform any other general I-Vac activities as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Skills and Qualifications Needed:
- An honours Degree in Biological Sciences or its equivalent from a recognized University;
• Master of Science degree in Immunology or Molecular biology or another related field is
an added advantage;
• Training in Good Clinical Laboratory Practice is also an added advantage;
• At least two year of experience working in a research setting;
• Knowledge of immunological laboratory techniques such as PBMC isolation and
cryopreservation and Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assays and molecular assays such
• Ability to set goals and work independently;
• Excellent organizational skills;
• Basic skills in scientific writing; and,
• Should have good communication skills.
How To Apply for MRC/UVRI Uganda Jobs 2021
All suitably qualiﬁed and interested candidates who meet the requirements should send your application at the link below.
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification.
Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & academic documents into one PDF document.
Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification. Only online applications will be accepted.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Consider your application unsuccessful if not contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of the advert.
Application Deadline: 5th March 2021, 5:00pm
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.