Job Title: Assistant Hydrologist – DRC Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Profile:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
The hydrologist assistant will be responsible for the hydrological analysis to support planning and design and assist implementation of Water Resource Management works and projects. The candidate must be prepared to implement innovative ideas that prioritize primary water resource management (rain and storm water) and use of natural land contours and patterns as well as natural materials to saturate the landscape for long term land restoration, as well as surface level water retention. The aim is to mitigate soil erosion that contributes to the drought flood cycle, and ensure that all primary water resources go in to crop production, biodiversity regeneration, or water storage for human and animal consumption as well as irrigation. WRM will cover the implementation of 8 micro-catchment plans with 40 agricultural-related physical and natural water infrastructures (e.g. Multi-purpose dam, protection of river banks, contour planting, tree planting and other water retention structure in the open landscape).
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Undertake Hydrological assessment for the design of Water Resource Management Infrastructure projects within the selected micro-catchments.
- Participate in the identification, planning, designing and constructing water management infrastructure, soil and water conservation structures and other technologies and practices with the greatest potential to improve water and natural resources management.
- Coordinating project activities with the District Focal persons from the Engineering, Environment and Forestry Departments in the target districts.
- Ensure regular communication between communities at the project implementation sites and DRC
- Inspect and supervise work for quality and compile inspection report.
- Ensure project accomplishments according to specifications and targets and recommended standards.
- Participate in training of Project Management Committees (PMC) and Project User Committees (PUCs) together with district technical team
- Developing investment plans (costed BOQ) together with the Project Water Engineer.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points
- Produce activity, monthly, quarterly and annual reports as per DRC and donor requirements
- On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum two-year relevant work experience for degree holders or 3 years work experience for diploma holders
- Broad knowledge of the concepts, principles, techniques and practices of IWRM, environment and/or climate change, safe access to energy, and biodiversity conservation
- Excellent computer skills (MS package, GIS and Hydrological modeling tools)
- Ability to meet tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Ability to ride a motorcycle with a valid rider’s license
- Willingness to live in a rural environment and to travel
- Experience with donor funded projects and International Non-Governmental Organizations
- Relevant work experience from Northern Uganda
- Bachelor’s degree in Integrated Water Resources Management, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Sciences or Natural Resources Management from a recognized University or Institution
- Experience in using hydrology software and decision support systems
- Lugbara, Madi, Alur
How To Apply for the DRC Uganda Jobs 2021
All suitably qualiﬁed and interested candidates who meet the requirements should submit your application, detailed CV online via the link below:
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
Only applications sent via the online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies will be accepted.
Deadline: 23rd March 2021
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.