Job Title: Fresher Assistant WASH Officer – UNHCR Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: UNHCR Uganda
Job Location: Mbarara
UNHCR Uganda Profile:
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a UN agency mandated to aid and protect refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people, and to assist in their voluntary repatriation, local integration or resettlement to a third country.
The Assistant WASH Officer assists in the provision of professional technical support and guidance on activities within the areas of Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) in the locations within the Areas of Responsibility (AoR). The incumbent normally reports to the WASH Officer.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Coordination
– Work to coordinate activities of WASH implementing partners, together with other UN agencies, governmental and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other partners within the AoR to ensure delivery of WASH services to beneficiaries (PoC and host community) meets UNHCR and /or nationally recognised and most up-to-date standards and policies.
– Where there are PoC living outside of camps/settlements, work with partners to ensure the enjoyment of the human right to water and sanitation by all PoC.
– Work with senior WASH staff (or management) to engage government and partners, following the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR), to unlock resources (humanitarian and development) for the design and construction of community-centred infrastructure, improved hygiene conditions, safe management of water and sanitation services and service provision upgrades in refugee hosting areas.
– Work towards ensuring that all decision making regarding WASH services takes in to account the needs and capacities of PoC, and the solutions proposed by PoC.
– Facilitate WASH coordination among partners, ensuring that inclusive and good practice coordination structures for all technical sectors covered are in place.
– Assess gaps and overlaps in UNHCR funded WASH programmes and unmet needs, work to ensure that they are addressed, and the activities are oriented to addressing priority WASH issues.
– Provide support to a multi-sector ¿technical unit¿ in the AoR, including sector functions covering site planning, shelter, health, nutrition, and environment.
– Where relevant, provide support to national government(s) for inclusion of PoC within national SDG 6 development plans (Urban and Rural) and financing mechanisms and service delivery systems.
– Contribute to key WASH strategic partnerships with development and humanitarian agencies to support inclusion of refugee WASH services within national systems and development financing mechanisms.
– Engage with Urban WASH actors (GAUC, UCLG, UNHABITAT, Municipal Authorities, Utilities, and relevant government line ministries) for preparedness planning, inclusion in pro-poor tariffs, and provision of WASH services to PoC hosted in urban areas.
WASH Strategy, Planning and Programme Support
– Follow a WASH strategy which identifies the targets and approaches for water supply, excreta management, personal and environmental hygiene (including menstrual health), solid waste management, vector control, and institutional WASH facilities.
– Under guidance of senior WASH staff (or management) jointly with WASH partners and other stakeholders, update detailed needs and resource assessments and revise designs and technical plans, taking into account practical aspects of implementation, long-term sustainable solutions, and relevant technical specifications and guidelines.
– Advise and assist the UNHCR programme staff on the development of WASH aspects of the programme including planning, budgeting and input to financial management of the programme.
– Involce PoC during planning, design, implementation, and monitoring of WASH services using an age, gender and diversity approach.
– Work with senior WASH staff (or management) to ensure the WASH Strategy includes all UNHCR PoC, and considers at a minimum WASH access data collection, and advocacy for inclusion of all PoC (both in camp and out of camp) within national systems of WASH service provision
Technical Assistance and Capacity Building
– Plan and address adequately the needs of women, children, the elderly and people living with disabilities in planning and implementing WASH activities.
– Provide input to the Operation to define the scope of UNHCR involvement, expressed in terms of overall and operational objectives during emergency, transition, and protracted phases.
– Support the review and analysis of partner project proposals and budgetary submissions.
– Use community-based approaches, including clear involvement of women, girls, boys, and men, elderly, persons with disabilities in the design of WASH related infrastructure, products, and services.
– Provide technical assistance to UNHCR office(s) and programmes in the development, integration and mainstreaming of appropriate client-focused and cost effective WASH programmes.
– Ensure development of information, education and communication materials through community consultations, collaborating with women, girls, boys, men, elderly, persons with disability, and other potentially marginalised groups.
– Contribute to capacity strengthening activities of UNHCR and its implementing/operational partners to address key areas of WASH importance to PoC.
– Contribute to building the capacity and competence of UNHCR¿s staff on both hardware and software components of WASH
– Ensure community capacity building is carried out through multi-discipline teams working with women, girls, men, and boys of the community to train and empower them on WASH related aspects including: menstrual health, hygiene promotion, operation and maintenance, monitoring and reporting, and other topics.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Quality Assurance
– Monitor and evaluate WASH programmes within the AoR against standard UNHCR and SDG indicators to ensure that programmes are evidence-based and implemented in a comprehensive, client-focused, and cost effective manner.
– Contribute to carrying out monitoring and evaluation following UNHCR¿s WASH monitoring system using standard resources for data collection, analysis and interpretation
– Ensure that all data regarding the boreholes and WASH infrastructure is updated on UNHCR¿s GIS portal and relevant website(s).
– Monitor the collection and recording of SDG 6 WASH access data in the WASH Monitoring System for all UNHCR PoC to enable comparative reporting against national averages, to ensure that refugees/IDPs are not being ¿left behind¿.
– Collate WASH services access data (for both in-camp and out-of-camp PoC) to identify and promote inclusion of PoC within national SDG 6 development plans and financing mechanisms and service delivery systems.
Reporting and Accountability
– Work towards PoC¿s access to feedback and accountability mechanisms for the WASH services.
– Contribute to the collating and analysis of data on the satisfaction of PoC with regards to WASH services.
– Provide input to regular sectorial reports and submit material for preparation of periodic project monitoring reports as required.
– Report regularly on WASH activity implementation by all WASH partners, while maintaining accurate records of all relevant performance indicators.
– As requested, provide input to adequate reporting, timely updates and briefings to donor and management.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications for UNHCR Uganda Jobs 2021
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA – 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Agriculture Civil Engineering Environmental Sciences Hydrology
Geology Natural Resources Management Public Health Rural Development
Social Science Project management Construction Anthropology
Urban planning Sociology Community Development Social work
Social Developmnt Architecture Water resource /development Water/Sanitation Engineering
or other relevant field.
Relevant Job Experience
Proven expertise in the area of WASH including surveys, programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and coordination.
Knowledge and understanding of water and wastewater hydraulics and physical, chemical and biological properties; solid waste management practices, vector control and hygiene promotion/awareness raising strategies.
Knowledge and understanding of relationship between water, wastewater, solid waste, vector control to public health indicators, and value of hygiene promotion/awareness raising and behaviour change methodologies.
SP-WASH assessment including survey, implementation and oversight
PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles & reporting standards)
IT-Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
UN-UNHCR’s Mandate/Policy and Global Strategic Priorities
PR-Country Operations applying the Cluster Approach
SP-Experience in Irrigation or Site Planning or Shelter
EX-Experience with Inter/Non-Governmental Organization (INGO/NGO)
Competencies as defined in Job Profile
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Judgement and Decision Making
Empowering and Building Trust
Innovation and Creativity
Planning and Organizing
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees)
How To Apply for UNHCR Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Deadline: 17th June 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.