Job Title: Shelter and Infrastructure Officer – DRC Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Danish Refugee Council Uganda
Duty Station: Kitgum, Uganda
Reports to: Team Leader Shelter and Infrastructure
Danish Refugee Council Uganda Profile:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
The Shelter and Infrastructure Officer will be responsible for technical quality assurance and due diligence of all Water Resources Management activities in Kitgum and Lamwo. These include ensuring appropriateness and quality of actual work as well as training of Communities, particularly Project Management Committees. On technical issues, he/she will report to Project Lead WRM-NURI Water Engineer as appropriate.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Prepare engineering drawings, designs, BOQs and supervise construction of all projects in the area.
- Conduct technical assessment as and when required and monitor the quality and quantity of materials used for projects
- Undertake Hydrological assessment for design of Water Resources Management Infrastructure projects within the selected micro-catchments.
- Coordinate project activities with the District Focal Persons from the Engineering department in the Districts approved by the District Technical Planning Committees (DTPC)
- Undertake identification and training of competent contractors and masons in order to achieve high quality structures in the operational areas.
- Supervise the technical aspects of the project.
- Participate in the identification, planning, designing, and constructing water management infrastructure, soil and water conservation structures and other technologies and practices with the greatest potential to improve water and natural resources management.
- Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources.
- Continuously monitor and supervise construction of public works infrastructure projects in close collaboration with the Team leader-shelter and Infrastructure and the Engineering Assistants.
- Inspect and supervise work for quality and compile inspection report
- Ensure the right structures for instance vetted drifts and culverts are constructed in the identified bottlenecks and ensure value for money
- Ensure regular communication between communities as at the project implementation sites and DRC
- Processing payment certificates for contractors after completion of works
- Liaise with the District Engineering team, the Projects Engineer and the Project water Engineer to assess the quality of infrastructure Projects.
- Participate in training Project Management Committees (PMCs) and Project User Committees (PUCs) together with District technical team.
- Together with the Engineering Assistants, work on Project technical reports.
Staff Development and Management
- Responsible for engineering staff development, including target setting and performance appraisal.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Identify, document, disseminate relevant project success, challenges, and follow up on the implementation of Project’s action points.
- Participate in quarterly OPM and District monitoring project reviews and evaluations
- Provide engineering data and information for preparation of donor reports, e.g. monthly highlights, quarterly and annual reports.
- On request, perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
- Adhere to DRC’s code of conduct
Qualifications for DRC Uganda Jobs 2021
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 5 years of post-graduate relevant work experience
- Experience from 3 projects as Engineer
- Broad knowledge of concepts, principles, techniques and practices of IWRM, environment and/or climate change, safe access to energy and biodiversity conservation.
- Experience with donor funded projects and international Non-Governmental Organizations
- Relevant work experience from Northern Uganda.
- A good team player
- Excellent Communication skills
- Excellent analytical and negation skills.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Knowledge of computer word processing and database management practices.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is essential
- Knowledge of one or more of the local languages widely spoken in the covered Districts, preferably Alur, Lugbara, Luo and Madi.
How To Apply for DRC Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: 28th June 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.