Job Title: 6 Business Counsellors – TechnoServe Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: TechnoServe Uganda
Duty Station: Mbale, Tororo, Jinja, Kampala, Kabale and Kisoro, Uganda
Reports to: HortiMAP Business Advisor
TechnoServe Uganda Profile
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities. Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
Through the four-year Hortimap program funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Technoserve and partners BID Network and Impact Capital Africa will transform the horticulture industry in Uganda. The program combines catalytic funding through a Market Development Facility and Technical Assistance fund to leverage private sector and local resources and expertise to strengthen SMEs and local supply chains, while delivering world-class entrepreneurship training to farmers and retailers to realize their potential. These interventions are expected to increase incomes for more than 31,000 farmers, create 11,000 jobs, and improve access to healthy, safe food for 250,000 Ugandan consumers.
This position is part of the Horticultural Value Chain Development Team which ensures delivery of high quality, customized trainings to MDF clients, specifically farmers, producer organizations, retailers, vendors and other SMEs. The Business Counsellor will work closely with partnership manager, business managers, Input suppliers, DLG departments, local stakeholders, and partners, as well as respective country management. S/he will be responsible for delivering customized Entrepreneurship and micro-retailor trainings to Fresh Fruits and Vegetable (FFV) Vendors, micro-retailers and other selected SMEs, in addition the Business counselor may provide support to Associate Agronomy Advisor in the delivery of Entrepreneurship training to Producer Organizations and Entrepreneurial farmers
Roles and Responsibilities for TechnoServe Uganda Jobs 2021:
- Continuous mapping, selection, profiling and recruitment of FFV market Vendors, micro-retailers and market serving SMEs in targeted markets within their geographical locations
- Use TechnoServe’s tested assessment tools to benchmark Clients’ (Vendors, micro-retailers and Market serving SMEs) capacity and help identify areas for improvement.
- Use the result of the bench mark to tailor support to individual Client (Vendors, micro-retailers and Market serving SMEs) based on identified gaps
- Work with business advisor and Partnership manager to link Clients (market vendors, microretailers and SMEs) to business development service (BDS) providers to build capacity in core areas such governance, member services, and inclusive leadership of women and youth.
- Deliver direct training and coaching to Market Vendors and micro retailers in micro-retailing and vendor modules such as Shop Management, Financial Management, Supply Chain Management etc.
- Support Partners in delivering training to Market Vendors and micro retailers in micro-retailing and vendor modules such as Shop Management, Financial Management and Supply Chain Management
- Facilitate backward linkage among the core value chain actors, from Market end to Production and supply
- Promote and scale up identified and proven technologies among the value chain actors in areas of; reducing Post-harvest losses, proper storage etc.
- Collect baseline figures and measure impact in order to monitor progress (M&E)
- Planning of activities to ensure that the objectives of the program are met within the set times and resources and that impact is maximized
- Periodic reporting of the situation on the ground to provide both data and anecdotal evidence of impact
- With support of HortiMAP Business Advisor, and HortiMAP Partnership Manager, identify
- Business Development Service providers such as Micro-Finance Institutions and link them with the clients- Vendors and micro-retailers
- Building strong partnerships and professional working relations with key stakeholders in the districts of operation, such as District Local government, lower local government, Market leaderships and other projects in the area, etc.
- Any other duties assigned by your supervisor
Minimum Qualifications for TechnoServe Uganda Jobs 2021
- The ideal candidate must hold a diploma in Business related discipline such as Business studies, Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Agribusiness. A degree is an added advantage
- At least two years’ field experience with, Entrepreneurship development, Vendors and microretailor business support and engagement, youth and women entrepreneurship support.
- Knowledge of the Fresh Fruits and Vegetable (FFV) sector, products and markets
- Strong private sector experience, facilitation skills and Participatory Approaches and client relationship building
- Relevant skills of Monitoring and Evaluation tools and practices including use of online digital platform for delivering trainings, data capturing and reporting
- Good computer skills (Excel and MS word)
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in the local language(s) or one of the local languages spoken in the district
- Ability to ride Motorcycle with valid riding permit, or willingness to learn and acquire permit within one-month period
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situa Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyse situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals.
- Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
The position that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include Business Advisor.
How To Apply for TechnoServe Uganda Jobs 2021
If you are interested and you meet the requirements, apply by email only to; UG-Jobs@tns.org please submit a resume, cover letter and three professional references.
Identify the location for which you are applying in your cover Letter.
NB: Please note that only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes. We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
Deadline: 31st July 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.