Job Title: 3 Business Counsellors – TechnoServe Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: TechnoServe Uganda
Duty Station: Mukono, Kayunga and Buikwe (1 Position), Kasese and Bundibugyo (1 Position), Fort Portal, Kagadi, Rubiriza and Ibanda (1 Position), Uganda
Reports to: Micro Enterprise Specialist
TechnoServe Uganda Profile
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities. Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
TechnoServe, CRS and Frontier Co-op are implementing VINES, a five year, $13 million, USDA Food for Progress program that will make Uganda the world’s next leading supplier of high-quality vanilla. Led by CRS, VINES will leverage the expertise of CRS and its world class consortium of partners (including TechnoServe), associated experts and leading international buyers to provide technical assistance to enhance the production of safe, clean, pure vanilla, develop market links with US trade networks, and strengthen an enabling public policy network to reduce vanilla theft to transform the lives of 16,200 farmers, 356 self-employed service and input providers, 480 processors’ employees; and generating 15,820 new on-farm seasonal and permanent processing jobs to reach 32,856 vanilla stakeholders. In turn, this will provide international buyers with a new origin that will stabilize the extreme price volatility for this unique spice. Within the consortium, TechnoServe will lead in market analysis, business planning, farmer business capacity building, agripreneur and youth training, input supply and business relationship management.
TechnoServe is recruiting three (3) Micro Enterprise Counsellors who will support the implementation of TechnoServe’s efforts under VINES-Project and contribute to the overall delivery of program activities with Emphasis on building the capacity of youth entrepreneurs, Fee for service extension agents and commercial farmers. The Micro Enterprise Counsellor will work closely within the rural communities, participants and local stakeholders and will be responsible for timely and effective implementation of project activities and achievement of a portion of the project’s goal to train 720 entrepreneurs. S/he will be responsible for work planning, training of entrepreneurs, provision of business advisory support to the entrepreneurs and monitoring program impact/effectiveness at the individual entrepreneur level. The Micro Enterprise Counsellor will also be required to provide regular reports on the progress of the program activities.
Roles and Responsibilities for TechnoServe Uganda Jobs 2021:
Mobilisation of participants to the program:
- Promote the program and its benefits within the local communities in the program area
- Identify and recruit participants who meet the stipulated program criteria of age, literacy and geographic location on to the program
- Facilitate group orientation and team building activities to solidify relationships within the group and support identification of appropriate and safe training/meeting venues within the project area.
- Be a good representative of the organisation and the program as per policy.
Training & retention of Project beneficiaries:
- Undergo training and upgrading of knowledge & skills on the program curriculum (participate in ToTs) as required
- Deliver the program curriculum and training sessions as per the manual, adhering to the guidelines and standards of punctuality, size of class, use of materials, activities, lesson plans and ensuring that training is conducted as per approved program and cohort work plans
- Ensure that delivery of technical training packages is of high quality, is appropriate to the local context (use of local language and local examples), and is effectively reaching participants
- Identify Key skill gaps within different categories of trainees relative to the local economic opportunities and provide feedback to supervisor on training requirements/ needs
- Track attendance and report on attrition or other challenges regularly to the area supervisor
- Endeavour to follow up & support participants who face various challenges such as gender related problems, psychosocial related issues, poor attendance drop outs etc.
- Ensure timeliness and quality of activity implementation.
Aftercare support & reporting:
- Follow up on the trainees after the training to track their progress e.g. those who have started businesses or other activities. Provide advice, guidance and any other necessary support as needed by the participants
- Actively participate in regular team meetings to track implementation progress and share relevant field data (e.g. attendance lists, feedback forms etc.)
- Capture and share success stories of the entrepreneurs with the Micro Enterprise Specialist.
- Collect relevant data for monitoring and evaluation purposes
- Facilitate the mentoring of entrepreneurs to execute their business plans i.e. starting up and expanding their businesses
- Work closely with the local stakeholders to ensure proper understanding of the program and enhance collaboration at the local level
- Work with program staff to identify technical assistance needs at sub-county levels
- Understand, respect and promote TechnoServe’s values, vision, and strategy in the implementation of assigned duties
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications for TechnoServe Uganda Jobs 2021
- The ideal applicant must hold a diploma in Business related discipline such as Business studies, Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Agribusiness. A degree is an added advantage
- At least two years’ field experience with, Entrepreneurship development, Vendors and microretailor business support and engagement, youth and women entrepreneurship support.
- Strong private sector experience, facilitation skills and Participatory Approaches and client relationship building
- Relevant skills of Monitoring and Evaluation tools and practices including use of online digital platform for delivering trainings, data capturing and reporting
- Good computer skills (Excel and MS word)
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in the local languages to include Luganda, Lhukonzo and Runyakitara or one of the local languages spoken in the district
- Ability to ride Motorcycle with valid riding permit, or willingness to learn and acquire permit within one-month period
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyse situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals.
- Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
The position that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include Business Advisor.
How To Apply for TechnoServe Uganda Jobs 2021
If you are interested and you meet the requirements, apply by email only to; UG-Jobs@tns.org please submit a resume, cover letter and three professional references.
Identify the location for which you are applying in your cover Letter.
NB: Please note that only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
Deadline: 31st July 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.