Job Title: 2 Volunteer Agribusiness Specialists – Peace Corps Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: United States Peace Corps
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
United States Peace Corps Profile
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
The Peace Corps is an independent agency and volunteer program run by the United States Government providing international social and economic development assistance.
The Agribusiness & Economic Development Volunteers assist Ugandan households in achieving economic security, improved nutrition and food security. Volunteers work with community members to build the capacity of women, youth and farmers to apply improved financial literacy and money management practices, develop their entrepreneurial potential, support the communities to implement income generating activities and increase households’ adoption of nutritious diets and food choices. Volunteers work in rural communities where people have a higher need for food security and economic development opportunities especially in areas not reached by other organizations. Volunteers also work with schools, health centers and other stakeholders to promote the adoption of nutritious diets and food choices among households.
In communities where Volunteers work, household members often lack the skills to pursue available employment opportunities, the capacity to create their own employment and economic opportunities and the critical money management skills needed to manage household income and expenses. Volunteers work to strengthen the skills and capacity individuals need to contribute to the economic security and upward economic mobility of their households.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Train community groups on money management best practices which include: budgeting, bookkeeping, record keeping and financial literacy.
- Support the formation of and strengthen village savings and loans associations.
- Train youth on entrepreneurship and livelihoods.
- Train the youth, farmers and women on the selection and implementation of viable income generating activities.
- Advise farmers on post-harvest handling to reduce waste and increase profitability through value-addition and income generating activities as a form of achieving food security.
- Demonstrate and assist community members in preparing household gardens to grow a variety of nutritious diets.
- Train households on how to cook recipes that incorporate nutrient rich foods to improve women’s and children’s diets.
Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the United States Peace Corps Agribusiness Specialist job must hold a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture Economics or a degree combining agriculture and management, including agribusiness, agricultural management, farm management
- At least three years of experience in farm management and/or agribusiness
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree in any business or economics discipline with 1 year experience in farming or agribusiness
- Small-scale farming and experience with agricultural value addition and post-harvest handling
- Expressed interest working with small-scale farmers and youth in various capacities including entrepreneurship training
- Expressed interest working in micro-finance and small business development
- Flexibility living in another culture and/or working in an unstructured environment
How To Apply for Peace Corps Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: Open until filled
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.