Job Title: Mental Health Supervisor – StrongMinds Uganda Jobs 2021
Job Location: Uganda
StrongMinds treats depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited. To date, StrongMinds has treated more than 70,000 women with depression in Uganda and Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve millions in the next ten years.
The Mental Health Supervisor will be responsible for providing supervision and support to the team of Mental Health Facilitators (MHFs) implementing SMU’s Group Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT-G) program in Uganda. The Mental Health Supervisor is also responsible for the assessment of the work of MHFS’ on matters of quality, utilization, training, patient safety, employee self-care, program management, data collection, processing and use and clinical effectiveness.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Prepare weekly work plans for the teams, submit it to the Supervisor and circulate to the MHF Teams.
- Ensure work plans are implemented.
- Ensure that logistics support, transport and other support for the field activities are coordinated in timely fashion with the logistics and administration department.
- In conjunction with MHFs, prepare financial requests for any program funds needed to support future programmatic activities.
Coaching and skills building
- Teach and demonstrate counselling techniques including IIPTG.
- Lead weekly debrief sessions to promote team cohesion and allow for inward looking examination of skills and counseling quality by each MHF.
- Support the MHFs to grasp the rationale for the IPTG strategy and intervention.
- Assist the MHF to recognize their own personal limitations and put in place strategies to protect both them and the client.
- Support the MHF to develop a responsible program of self-care and client management.
- Recommend well performing MHFs for recognition and those struggling for future training and support.
- Develop a team culture of learning, excellence and application of the SMU values and policies specifically but not limited to the SMU safeguarding and child protection policies.
- Ensure that weekly activity reports and other M & E forms are submitted by the MHF’s for every group to the required standard.
- Submit monthly reports to the Supervisor (using agreed format).
- Ensure a standard filing of documents is maintained by the MHFs.
Liaison and Coordination
- Ensure smooth coordination with the schools, project partners, district, sub-counties and parish authorities for the implementation of IPT-G sessions.
- Ensure good coordination with other NGOs and civil societies in the area of work to ensure cooperation (Networking).
- Ensure coordination between the teams.
Program monitoring and development
- Ensure that the sessions are carried out as per the required standards (see required standards below – list is not exhaustive)
- Conduct live supervision of the sessions for the purpose of affirming, teaching and monitoring quality of the sessions being conducted in the groups/communities.
- Ensure proper filing of client information observation of client confidentiality by overseeing methods of protection for client information including proper management and use of client files.
- Conduct periodic one on one sessions with MHFs to check on individual progress and provide support where needed.
Management and Administration
- Lead the MHF’S by example in all aspects of counseling conduct, program implementation and work ethics.
- Undertake an ongoing process of feedback with all MHFs to ensure that data is shared and digested, that praise is given, and corrections are integrated and implemented timely.
- Ensure discipline amongst the teams as and when needed.
- Solve minor issues in the teams.
- Any other duties that may be assigned to you by your supervisor
Minimum Qualifications for StrongMinds Uganda Jobs 2021:
- The ideal candidate must hold a relevant bachelor’s degree.
- Three years or more experience in supervising teams specifically teams working with children, adolescents, or young people.
- Ability to provide hands on leadership for small groups providing mental health services to children, adolescents or young people.
- Proven coaching and mentoring track record including providing positive and negative feedback and holding bold conversations when needed.
- Demonstrated interest in social work and helping others/ teams grow and develop their skills.
- Broad and in-depth understanding of issues related to adolescents, child an adolescent mental health, specifically depression.
- A good understanding of and adherence to child protection and safeguarding principles and practice.
- Understanding of self-help approaches and empowerment in mental health particularly those that work for vulnerable adolescents and young people.
- Excellent group coaching, facilitation and training skills
- Experience working with young people with depression. Any clinical skills are an added advantage.
- Experience in running self- help groups.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to develop, inform and sustain professional relationships, partnerships and networks.
- Available: open, receptive, trusting, non-threatening
- Accessible: easy to approach and speak freely with
- Able: having real knowledge and skills to transmit to the supervisee
- Affable: pleasant, friendly and reassuring.
- Advanced ICT skills with extensive experience working with laptops, tablets and smart phones.
- An efficiency expert that looks for redundancies and opportunities for process improvement as a way of life
- A big picture thinker that can simultaneously understand large organization goals in conjunction with the goals of each individual employee.
- Highly analytical – with the ability to identify problems in advance and to creatively solve them.
- Good command of English, Luganda and Lusoga is essential. All these languages will be tested during interviews.
The Mental Health Supervisor will be required to model StrongMinds core Values below.
- We are people-focused.
- We think big and act fast.
- We are data-driven.
- We do what we say and say what we do.
- We believe in collaboration, not competition.
How To Apply for StrongMinds Uganda Jobs 2021
Please apply online at the link below by submitting the following information as one document: a) cover letter; b) CV indicating 3 referees, two of whom should have been your direct supervisors. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed or considered.
NB: Shortlisted candidates only will be contacted by 30th August, 2021. StrongMinds Uganda is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply at the earliest opportunity; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 11th August 2021 by 5.00 pm
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.