MRC/UVRI Jobs 2021 – Communications Officer
Job Title: Communications Officer – MRC/UVRI Jobs 2021
Organization: Medical Research Council (MRC UK) /UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Communications & Engagement
Medical Research Council Profile
The Medical Research Council (MRC UK) is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between
The Communications Officer will coordinate all aspects of web-based and other communications and community engagement activities across all sites and activities of the Ugandan MRC Unit – specifically to support information flow within the Unit, but also with the relevant stake holders and general public. This involves managing the Unit’s web-presence (website, social media), press releases and other internal and external formats such as newsletters and formal reports. This requires the post holder to support strategic communications activities for the Unit’s research projects, research groups, Research Themes, Programmes but also other for core activities delivered through our Professional Support Services. The position will be based within the Unit’s Communication & Engagement department and will work closely with relevant Heads of Themes, Programmes, Principle Investigators and Managers at the Unit.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and strengthen the Unit’s and LSHTM’s reputation as a leader in global health research;
- Promote the Unit’s vision, scientific strategy, values, platforms, academic outputs, impact on policy and research support capacity;
- Ensure the Unit effectively and correctly represented externally and internally via the Unit’s website, in social media and traditional press;
- Maintain and develop the Unit’s website; continuously publishing new content, news stories and research outputs and achievements;
- Use web-based and other platforms to communicate operational changes and urgent Support Service updates internally and externally where applicable;
- Development, implement and evaluate communication strategies that target lay and professional audiences;
- Develop info graphics that clearly communicate key Unit and research related messages to diverse audiences;
- Lead the development of the Unit newsletter;
- Prepare press releases and formal reports to external stakeholders as and when required;
- Support training of staff on Unit and LSHTM policies and procedures;
- Support community engagement activities;
- Support information sharing with LSHTM London, the MRC Unit in The Gambia as well as MRC/UKRI; and,
- Any other duties within the remit of the post as assigned by the line manager.
- The post holder will support the supervision of Communications Assistants as well as staff engaged in community engagement across different sites (via “dotted lines”).
- Support activities that drive the further integration of the Unit’s Communication function into LSHTM;
- Collaborate with colleagues across all 3 LSHTM sites (London, The Gambia, Uganda); and,
- Work closely with London-based colleagues to maintain and manage the Unit website.
- Participate in carbon emission reduction activities across the Unit and wider LSHTM; and,
- Act as an advocate for the responsible and efficient use of resources.
- The applicant for the Communications Officer job should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communications or other relevant subject area;
- Master’s degree in Mass Communications or other relevant subject area is a desirable;
- At least three years of experience working in a communications role in a corporate/institutional setting;
- Significant experience managing websites, web content in a corporate/institutional setting;
- Significant experience managing corporate/institutional profiles and content on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms;
- Experience working with the media;
- Experience working in a research organization;
- Experience with community engagement;
- Excellent knowledge of writing for the web and using web content management systems (CMS) such as Drupal, WordPress, etc;
- Strong infographic development skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent command of English and widely spoken local languages;
- Proficiency in relevant software and applications (including but not limited to MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Good working knowledge of Photoshop or equivalent graphics software and applications;
- Ability to work with a high level of independence;
- Ability to work effectively with a highly diverse group of colleagues and external stakeholders;
- Outcome driven; and,
- High degree of professionalism.
How To Apply for MRC/UVRI jobs 2021
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation:
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity while filling the form is required and will be considered during shortlisting. Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & academic documents into one PDF document. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. This position is open to Ugandan nationals only. Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification. Only online applications will be accepted.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Deadline: 24th September 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.