Job Title: 4 Construction Site Assistants – Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: Mercy Corps Uganda
Duty Station: Moroto, Kotido, Kaabong and Amudat
Reports Directly To: Field Engineer
Works Directly With: Technical Team, Implementation Team, Finance and Operations Teams
Mercy Corps Uganda Profile
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Uganda, Mercy Corps has been operational since May 2006 by focusing its programming on empowerment, economic development, Health and Nutrition, peace building, adolescent girls’, and Refugee response.
Program / Department Summary
Apolou Activity and RCF are USAID funded initiatives operating in the Karamoja sub-region of Uganda. As part of its upcoming implementation, Apolou and RCF will be undertaking multiple construction projects. These include valley tank rehabilitation, livestock market rehabilitation, and milk collection center rehabilitation. These works are likely to run concurrently across the Districts of Moroto, Kaabong, Amudat and Kotido. Mercy Corps will hire qualified contractors to complete the works.
The Construction Site Assistant is responsible for monitoring and reporting on engineering project activities and administrative tasks in the assigned district. S/he will work with the construction companies’ engineering staff and Mercy Corps’ Field Engineer to effectively implement planned projects in the assigned district.
Roles and Responsibilities for Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2022:
- Survey estimation, design, and implementation support of infrastructure projects and other engineering sub-projects prioritized by program leadership with communities.
- Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, explaining MC’s role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the constriction project implementation.
- Work with the Engineer to produce projects designs, calculations, estimations, and technical specifications, etc.
- Monitor and evaluate technical quality of engineering projects at all phases; identification, design, implementation and make recommendations for improvements.
- Report all technical matters to the Engineer unit on weekly, biweekly, and Monthly basis as recommended and required.
- Ensure that all steps of project implementation, progress, problems, constraint, and monitoring is documented and reported and all documents in hard copies and soft copies are properly maintained.
- Report any variations or problems with implementation of projects (personnel, financial, schedules, technical) to the Engineer.
- Coordinate with local authorities to obtain required permissions.
- Ensure that the communities have full understanding of the infrastructure projects.
- Ensure full adherence to the MC security plans and protocols.
- Conduct daily site visits to determine any deviation and challenges and suggest appropriate solutions.
- Assist the Field Engineer to prepare technical specification for infrastructure projects.
- Responsible for a high degree of awareness regarding the security situation in the project area. Based upon this knowledge, take adequate measures to ensure the safety of all MC staff and equipment in the district.
- Follow all MC protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by the direct supervisor.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with USAID environmental compliance requirements and construction guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values always and in all in-country venues.
Minimum Qualifications for Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2022
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- A Diploma in Civil Engineering from a recognized University / Institution
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized University/Institution is an added advantage.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in assisting the supervision of construction works.
- Excellent communication skills; listening, comprehension, and feedback.
- Understanding of basic drafting and design concepts
- Ability to work in a multi-task environment
- Excellent knowledge and experience of the construction process and techniques
- Knowledge of Ngakarimojong or Pokot/Swahili language is an added advantage
- Strong computer skills on MS Office programs and database programs
- Ability to ride a motorbike with a valid riding permit is an added advantage
The successful candidate will have the ability to work comfortably and effectively in the Karamoja Sub-Region. S/he must be willing to undertake travel frequently on rough terrain within the program area and spend most of their time at the construction sites.
How To Apply for Mercy Corps Uganda Jobs 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 28th January 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.