HIF Uganda Jobs 2022 – 3 Fresher Voice/Sign Language Interpreters
Job Title: 3 Voice/Sign Language Interpreters – HIF Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: Humanity & Inclusion
Duty Station: Kyaka II (01), Kyangwali (01) and Imvepi (01), Uganda
Responsible to: Project Manager
Starting Date: 1st July 2022
Length of contract: 6 Months till December 2022
Gross Salary: UGX 2,826,469 – 3,124,682
Humanity & Inclusion Profile
Handicap International Federation (operating under the name Humanity & Inclusion) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
About the Project:
Access Protection Empowerment Accountability and Leadership (APEAL), is a consortium project, supported by ECHO, targeting the South Sudanese and Congolese refugees in West Nile-Imvepi and Western Uganda, comprising of 9 partner organisations with CARE as lead partner. APEAL intends to deliver a comprehensive, evidence-based and people-centred Protection, Sexual and Gender-Based Violence, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support response for recent and newly-arrived refugees from South Sudan and DRC settling in West Nile-Imvepi and Western Uganda. Results and activities have been modified to include changes in delivery modalities and prioritisation during and after the COVID-19 response. The aim of the project is to deliver targeted protection and SGBV life-saving assistance, disability inclusion, as well as holistic MHPSS with a particular focus on extremely vulnerable individuals such as unaccompanied and separated children, adolescent girls, and persons with disabilities. A harmonised package of interventions will be provided by APEAL partners from the point of entry into Uganda and across refugee settlements and host communities in West Nile and Western Uganda (Imvepi, Kyangwali and Kyaka II).
In this framework, HI will target very vulnerable people by a range of individual and group psychosocial interventions. It will also focus specifically on women, men and children with disabilities both through mainstreaming disability by supporting our partners to better include people with disabilities in their programmes and through specialised and direct services to people with disabilities. Services will include MHPSS individual and group sessions targeting beneficiaries and their families and/or caretakers as well as physiotherapy and occupational therapy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Project Manager and HI Technical Unit, the Voice/Sign language interpreter will:
Provide Sign Language interpretation to the staff with their day to day activities within the fulfillment of their roles which comprise of the following responsibilities:
- Ensure proper field coordination and planning of project activities with internal and external stakeholders
- Implement and follow-up, on a daily basis, the project activities in accordance with the project implementation plans
- Participate in the data collection and MEAL activities of the project in close collaboration with the MEAL team
- Manage and support the Community-Based Facilitators
- Ensure proper coordination with local authorities, partners, communities and other stakeholders.
It is therefore expected that the voice/sign language interpreter will provide sign language/voice interpretation for the staff and the people they will interact with in performance of the responsibilities listed above.
Provide Sign Language interpretation during training/Meetings/workshops
- The Voice/ Sign Language interpreter will be responsible for helping individuals with hearing impairment understand what is being said in a variety of settings including one on one communication, workshops, trainings, seminars, conferences, events, and other organizational settings
Provide sign language trainings for staffs and beneficiaries
- It is expected that the voice/sign language interpreter will provide sign language training for HI staff and beneficiaries who include children with hearing impairment, teachers in HI schools of intervention in Kyaka II, Imvepi and Kyangwali settlements, District education officers, and other relevant groups.
- The interpreter will be required to research technical and/or complex information to accurately interpret the subject matter from spoken language to sign language and vice versa while mediating the deaf culture.
Demonstration of an ethics, safe, secure and professional practices
- To show professional ethics, respect and promote Humanity & Inclusion mandate and humanitarian principles at all times
- To respect the Humanity & Inclusion protection of children policy, the protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation and abuse policy, the anti-fraud bribery and corruption policy and report to your line manager any non-respect of HI’s policies amongst the teams or partners.
- To report any incident or act that causes any harm to beneficiary or to others
- To contribute to the definition and/or update of security framework at field level
- To observe at all times strict commitment to Humanity & Inclusion Security & Safety regulations as per procedures in place at mission level
- To support information internal dissemination to relevant focal persons at mission level aiming at reinforcing security and safety of Handicap International staff and assets
- To participate in security meetings upon the line manager request and report relevant information to the appropriate persons
Minimum Qualifications for HIF Uganda Jobs 2022
- The ideal applicant must hold a diploma or certificate in Ugandan Sign Language interpretation
- At least two years of professional experience in a similar role
- At least three years of professional experience in Education/ Development/Humanitarian Sector
- Experience working in a refugee settlement is an added advantage
- Strong command of the English Language,
- Excellent receptive and voicing skill. Ability to understand what a person with hearing impairment has said (expressed in sign language) and voice it accurately.
- Excellent expressive skill – proper use of body language, facial expression, tone of the message etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively using all relevant means whilst tailoring communication to the person being addressed.
- Ability to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality and sensitivity of people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to translate for children affected by safeguarding incidents.
- Demonstrated evidence of ongoing professional development
- Ability to cope with flexible hours of working and a willingness to travel, sometimes on short notice
- Awareness of the needs of the deaf and Deaf Culture is crucial
- Ability to work under high pressure;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Strong communication and networking skills
- Strong interest in the fields related to HI mandate
- Strong team player and ability to work independently
How To Apply for HIF Uganda Jobs 2022
If you feel you meet the requirements, please send an updated CV (3 pages max, including three professional referees current and/or past line managers) with a cover letter as One Document to HR department at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position and location applied for not later than on.
Humanity and Inclusion is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we encourage females and persons with disabilities to apply to become a part of our organization.
HI staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the Code of Conduct. In accordance with these values, HI operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-fraud, bribery, and corruption.
HI does not solicit funds in exchange for employment opportunities.
This is a re-advertised position those who had previously applied should not re-apply.
Any efforts to influence the recruitment process will lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: Sunday 29th May 2022 at 11:59 pm
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.