ILO Uganda Jobs 2022 – National Project Coordinator
Job Title: National Project Coordinator – ILO Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: International Labour Organization (ILO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy no.: DC/DAR/GS/2022/06
International Labour Organization (ILO) Profile:
The International Labour Organization (ILO) is a United Nations agency dealing with labour problems, particularly international labour standards, social protection, and work opportunities for all. The ILO has 187 member states: 186 of the 193 UN member states plus the Cook Islands are members of the ILO. In 1969, the organization received the Nobel Peace Prize for improving peace among classes, pursuing decent work and justice for workers, and providing technical assistance to other developing nations.
The ILO is seeking to hire a National Project Coordinator (NPC) with strengthens in the Gig Economy, Microwork and Digital Skills. He/She will be responsible for the delivery of all Digital Skills, Microwork and Gig Economy elements within the PROSPECTS Programme while seeking and ensuring complementarity with other ILO PROSPECTS components, including that of partners like UNICEF and UNHCR activities in Uganda. In particular, the project will be implemented in three refugee settlements: Rhino Camp and Imvepi in the West Nile region, and Nakivale in the Southwest region of Uganda. The project will benefit both refugee and host communities in the three districts of Terego, Madi Okollo and Isingiro.
Under the overall responsibility of the ILO Country Office Director for United Republic of Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda and Burundi, the National Project Coordinator (Digital Skills and Microwork) will directly report to under the direct supervision and guidance of the Project Manager of the PROSPECTS Partnership in Uganda and ensure delivery of technical outputs of the project.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to ILO constituents and other national and international partners in strengthening their capacities on issues relating to the access of refugees and host communities to economic opportunities in digital labour platforms as well as facilitating their engagement with youth organizations in labour markets and labour market intermediation mechanisms such as employment services centres.
- Support efforts to ensure the meaningful engagement of the ILO in areas of planning, implementation and follow-up to the ILO, UNICEF and UNHCR Digital Skills Project, including, as required by the Project Manager, participation in and contribution to relevant thematic technical working groups, forums and networks relating to the gig economy, digital skills and the platform economy.
- Plan and conduct capacity building activities including development of appropriate technical guidance notes, development of briefs, delivery of training workshops and online training targeting constituents, youth-eld organisations, ILO constituents and youth in the platform economy.
- Explore and support efforts to develop new project opportunities on the gig-economy as these may arise through consultations and exchanges with national stakeholders and donor organisations and through close collaboration with the Officer-in-Charge of the ILO Kampala Project Office and in close collaboration with the ILO CO Dar es salaam Resource Mobilisation Focal person.
- Prepare terms of references for consultants and participate in sourcing and evaluation of local service providers/consultants as appropriate.
- Ensure effective implementation of the project through the provision of inputs, the delivery of outputs, and the planning, monitoring and evaluation of activities including support to the effective management of funds/budgets allocated to the project.
- Analysis key gaps and needs of refugee and host community youth in the platform economy and design interventions to address identified gaps, including on access to finance for youth in the platform economy.
- Explore and map out micro-work opportunities including in the gig and platform economy and design interventions to facilitate labour market linkages for youth uptake of the decent work opportunities in the gig and platform economy.
- Draft activity summaries and provide inputs to technical progress reports including alerts and recommendations on areas of criticality and support regular update of the programme work plan, including Identifying and documenting lessons learned
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with the national line ministries and agencies and stakeholders (including community leaders and private sector actors) relevant for the delivery of digital skills and micro-work components in the Programme.
- Participate in the preparation and conduct conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions and consultative meetings. Undertake missions to project sites if required.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the Supervisor and/or the Country Office Director.
- The ideal candidate must hold a first level university degree in economics, IT, social science, communication, development or a related field complemented with demonstrated expertise in development, migration or forced displacement.
- At least three years of professional experience in the management and delivery of development cooperation activities in a mid-level position, which includes field experience in implementation of Digitals skills projects, preferably in the Africa region and in similar contexts of forced displacement.
- Knowledge of local government structures, gig economy players and their operations, governments’ refugee response with a focus on ITC and platform economic opportunities and their modus operandi is an added advantage. Familiarity with ILO policies, technical programmes and procedures, including experience working with officials of ministries of labour and/or education would be an advantage, as would experience of working in crisis settings.
- Languages: Excellent command of English and working knowledge of another language of the duty station
- Proven ability to take ownership of all responsibilities, act with integrity and transparency by maintaining social, ethical and organisational norms, meet all commitments within the prescribed time, cost and quality standards;
- Ability to implement strategic goals;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Ability to work effectively in a team and excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to synthesise research and reach empirically based conclusions on related subjects by understanding both the qualitative and quantitative approaches in social science research;
- Ability to develop and present alternative courses of action, proposals, policy and procedural matters;
- Ability to promote knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write accurate reports and to build networks to obtain cooperation with partners;
- Proven capacity to support implementation of technical co-operation programmes and activities with ILO constituents and NGOs, including negotiation skills with governments, social partners and other national and international partners and to mobilise support of international donor agencies and provide quality services;
- Ability to maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or environment, and to adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures;
- Excellent computer/information application skills, including word processing, excel, power point etc.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
- Knowledge of digital skills and the gig platform space at community, national and international levels is an added advantage.
How To Apply for ILO Uganda Jobs 2022
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations International Labour Organization in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 30th June 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.