UNFPA Uganda Jobs 2022 – Fresher Finance Analyst
Job Title: Finance Analyst – UNFPA Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Duty Station: Kampala
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Profile
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), formerly the United Nations Fund for Population Activities, is a UN agency aimed at improving reproductive and maternal health worldwide. Its work includes developing national healthcare strategies and protocols, increasing access to birth control, and leading campaigns against child marriage, gender-based violence, obstetric fistula, and female genital mutilation.
The UNFPA supports programs in more than 150 countries across four geographic regions: Arab States and Europe, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and sub-Saharan Africa. Around three-quarters of the staff work in the field. It is a founding member of the United Nations Development Group, a collection of UN agencies and programmes focused on fulfilling the Sustainable Development Goals.
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Roles and Responsibilities:
A. Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Financial resources management through planning, guiding, controlling of the resources in accordance with UNFPA rules and regulations.
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets of management projects.
- Establishment of the development projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL) and budgets delivery levels.
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management
- Processing of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP
- Carry out financial analysis and ensure oversight of all resources managed by the CO and provision of high-quality professional advice to the CO management.
- Supervise timely production of accurate donor reports.
- Undertake continuous analysis and monitoring of the CO’s financial situation, and preparation of regular updates on the status of financial resources.
- Ensure full compliance, of financial activities, financial recording/reporting systems with UNFPA’s rules, regulations, policies and strategies; proper design and functioning of the financial resources management.
- Serve as focal point for audits, both HACT and DAO, including coordination of HACT audit visits, training and support to staff and Implementing Partners, coordination of responses to audit observations, follow on implementation of audit recommendations, maintenance of HACT Database/CARDS, etc.
B. Implement operational and financial management strategies; adapt processes and procedures to maximize effectiveness and efficiency focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UN rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system.
- Conduct CO finance business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, control of the workflows in the Finance Unit
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects.
- Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contributions within the CO resources mobilization efforts.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies.
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNFPA staff at Headquarters of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Supervise delivery of effective and efficient financial services to UNFPA’s staff and clients (payments, F10 settlements, reversals, petty cash, vendor initiation, etc.)
- Establish internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that all transactions are duly authorized; AP vouchers are matched and posted; payrolls are posted; travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed; receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals are properly done in compliance with IPSAS and UNFPA rules, policies and procedures.
- Facilitate effective budget management of office resources; elaborate proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
- Supervise members of Finance team; manage workflow in the unit, serve as a coach and mentor to the members of the Finance team.
- Backstop Operations Manager at the time of his/her absence
C. Exercise proper control of CO accounts, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Build systems and procedures to ensure proper use and regular reconciliation of balance sheet accounts; organize timely collection of receivables and settlement of liabilities;
- Ensure oversight of Operating Fund Account (OFA); ensure full compliance of CO transactions with OFA policy; overview regular reconciliations of OFA accounts;
- Coordinate financial closure activities and submission of all due certifications to HQ; overview preparation of monthly and quarterly accountability checklists;
- Ensure correct coding of all CO transactions by chart of account elements including oversight over correct use of account and implementing agency codes;
- Timely corrective actions on un posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Control of the Accounts Receivables and maintenance of the General Ledger.
D. Facilitate building and sharing knowledge of finance among Country Office staff:
- Serve as ATLAS and IPSAS learning focal point; stay abreast of new IPSAS-related policies and ATLAS upgrades; organize regular learning events for staff;
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Finance;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Finance;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice and share any updates with other CO colleagues
E. Ensures proper CO cash management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local mobile banking account to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements for workshop allowances. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNFPA staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Primary contact with mobile bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of rate on transactions.
- Transaction and stop payment approval on mobile banking systems.
- Approval and submission of monthly mobile account reports to management.
- Timely and accurate approval of mobile account reconciliation, including documented review of exceptions.
- Timely preparation of monthly workshop allowances cash flow forecast for use by Operations Manager and Programme Specialists. Liaison with programme units to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
- Role as cashier for cash disbursements made on site.
F. Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the management of the Country Office.
- Master’s Degree/ Advanced university degree in Business Administration, Finance / Accounting, or related discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Up to two years relevant experience in providing financial management services and operational system;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft;
- Experience of IPSAS or IFRS is an added advantage.
- UN common system experience, especially field experience, is desirable.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French and/or Spanish, is desirable.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
- Business acumen
- Implementing management systems
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Client orientation
- Managing the organization’s financial resources
- Organizational awareness
Managerial Competencies (as/ if applicable):
- Providing strategic focus;
- Engaging staff and partners;
- Leading, developing and empowering people/creating a culture of performance;
- Making decisions and exercise judgment.
Compensation and Benefits:
- This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
How To Apply for UNFPA Uganda Jobs 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 1st September 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.