ILRI Uganda Jobs 2022 – Fresher Research Associate
Job Title: Research Associate – ILRI Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) Profile:
The International Livestock Research Institute is an international agricultural research institute based in Nairobi, Kenya, and founded in 1994 by the merging of the International Livestock Centre for Africa and the International Laboratory for Research on Animal Diseases.
Reporting to the Scientist and Senior Scientist at ILRI, the Research Associate will provide support to projects implemented under the Neglected Zoonoses theme within the BMZ funded project One Health Centre in Africa (OHRECA) predominately in Uganda. The position will facilitate focus group discussions, train enumerators, facilitate workshops, collect and analyze data, assist in designing data collection tools and participate in writing reports and peer-reviewed manuscripts.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support the theme lead (NZDs) with implementing research activities within the NZD portfolio T. solium cysticercosis
- Support post-doc research assistant in data collection for T. solium prevalence in Uganda; including undertaking partial carcass dissection, collecting blood samples from pigs, running antigen ELISAs and bio-banking samples with minimal supervision
- Support the OHRECA post-doc to facilitate focus group discussions, key informant interviews and collect KAP data from farmers and other value chain actors to inform design of T. solium control strategies
- Under supervision of Emily Ouma, identify and train enumerators for pork value chain analysis, facilitate FGDs and KIIs to collect data for value chain analysis
- Facilitate SD modelling workshops, lead transcription of interview recordings and data entry.
- Lead the collection of longitudinal data on parasite burden and weight gain in pigs treated with oxfendazole including data entry and basic data analysis
- Economic burden of Neglected Zoonoses
- Undertake systematic literature reviews under supervision (preparation of protocols and syntax, undertake literature search, screening and data extraction)
- Design, with supervision, data collection tools in ODK for NZD projects as required
- Lead basic data analysis under supervision and participate in
- Participate in writing reports and peer-reviewed manuscripts
- Provide support as required by the theme lead to graduate fellows embedded within the NZD portfolio.
- Support the NZD theme lead and OHRECA team lead with other tasks as requested
- Minimum – Bachelor of veterinary medicine
- Desired – MSc in epidemiology/One Health/ Public Health
- At least 3 years of experience within the fields of veterinary or agricultural sciences, preferably in east Africa
- Experience of field data collection, data analysis and data management
- Demonstrated experience of data analysis with R, understanding of the ethical approval process for data collection in humans and animals, experience of field data collection,
- Experience of basic laboratory techniques (e.g. aliquoting and storing samples, ELISA, DNA extraction)
- Record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals
- Integrity: Honest, above reproach and appropriate in actions / behavior and transparent in conduct.
- Result Oriented/ Focused: Ability to consistently meet set goals. Focused and goal oriented
- Ability to direct others to perform set duties (where relevant).
- Professionalism: Application of ethics, principles, standards, and expertise in all areas of work.
- Teamwork, Interpersonal Relations: Working and relating with others in mutual support and respect towards common goals and shared vision. Build and nurtures strong and authentic reciprocal relationships. Non-domineering or patronizing attitude and /or behavior.
- Multi-cultural fit & Respect for Diversity: An ability to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives is critical for all staff members.
- Desired; Clean driving license
- Communication: Ability to express oneself, share and exchange information clearly and in a timely style
- Innovation & Creativity: Ability to generate new ideas and ways of working to continuously improve existing work processes, practices, concepts
How To Apply for ILRI Uganda Jobs 2022
Applicants are invited to visit this link, Click Here to get full details of the position and to submit their applications which should include letter of application, CV and names/contacts of at least three professional referees. Applications should cite reference number ABC-UG-08 Research Associate – ILRI Uganda as the position applied for. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s last name, first name for ease of sorting. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 16th September 2021
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.