UNDP Jobs Uganda 2022 – Fresher Programme Officer (Health & HIV)
Job Title: Programme Officer (Health & HIV) – UNDP Jobs Uganda 2022
Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
United Nations Development Programme Profile:
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
UNDP Uganda seeks to recruit a Programme Office for Health and HIV to coordinate UNDP integrated programing and implementation of HIV, NCDs, Health and Development. This position is under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative, and with the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative.
Roles and responsibilities for UNDP Jobs Uganda 2022:
Policy Research and Development.
- Through in-depth research and analysis, contribute to the development and drafting of policy briefs, guidance notes and other knowledge products on the social determinants of health, with an emphasis on HIV, and NCD prevention and control;
- Take part in the process of analyzing, improving, and adapting policies for different contexts on key emerging policy agendas as appropriate, including HIV, and NCD prevention;
- Support the coordination, testing and rolling out of tools to advance legislation and innovative health financing approaches across development goals.
Programme and Project Planning and Delivery Support.
Support the planning and delivery of ongoing HIV, NCD Projects and other health programmes:
I. Coordinate UNDP’s work on HIV and Health
- Work with Ministry of Health, OPM, MOGLSD, Parliament, UAC, and other stakeholder to integrate, track and report on the multi-sector health development agenda for NCDs, Mental Health, Sustainable Financing, Health Emergencies, etc;
- Work with Ministry of Health, UAC, and other key stakeholders to strengthen links between Gender, legal and human rights in the SDGS, the Health Strategic Plan and National HIV Strategic Plan;
- Work closely with Ministry of Health and other stakeholders to facilitate access to HIV and Health, particularly NCDs information;
- Work closely with key stakeholders to develop approaches that reduce HIV related stigma and discrimination among people living with HIV, key populations, refugees, and other vulnerable groups.
II. Coordinate UNDP’s work on governance programming within the JUPSA and UN Joint Programme on NCDs through the following actions.
- Work with Ministry of Health, UAC, Office of the President, OPM and other stakeholders to support coordination, reporting and other systems strengthening areas;
- Work with Uganda Aids Commission, Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Finance, Office of the Prime Minister on financing for development, monitoring of the various financing initiatives like the AIDS trust fund, the Health financing scheme and the “one dollar initiative” of the Private Sector;
- Working with Ministry of Health, UAC, NPA, and other key stakeholders the officer will strengthen links between Poverty reduction, economic empowerment, infrastructural development, Gender and Human rights.
III. Contributing to programme design and management
- Support the development and formulation of new project proposals and workplans, as well as the timely completion of evaluation reports of existing initiatives;
- Contribution to continuous monitoring and assessment of the programme impact (intended or non-intended/positive or negative), with special attention to potential perverse effects to political, social, and economic governance;
- Co-ordinate participating agencies in annual work planning, review, and reporting processes in line with the agreed monitoring and evaluation framework of the Joint Programmes;
- Manage contracting and administrative processes relating to projects, including monitoring progress on deliverables, and providing quality assurance;
- Provide technical support to programme teams and respond to country office needs as appropriate, including through the provision of capacity building and backstopping;
- Prepare materials as requested by supervisor to support the application of integrated multi-disciplinary approaches, including training materials and guidance notes for the country office team and partners.
Communication and Representation
- Prepare communication and advocacy materials to support mobilizing, fostering, and strengthening strategic partnerships with UN entities and other relevant bodies;
- Draft and aid the development of briefings and speeches, and represent UNDP, as requested, in external meetings;
- Prepare advocacy materials on the importance of NCD prevention and control to deepen related political commitment and related reforms.
- Keep an up-to-date record of relevant knowledge products, whether at the global, regional levels and proactively share documents with team members and respond to their specific requests for information;
- Contribute to the development and review of knowledge products in close coordination with HQ and Regional Hub teams by analyzing and sharing lessons learnt and programme evaluation results;
- Support quality assurance of knowledge products as requested.
Partnership support and Facilitation of UN Inter-agency collaboration and coordination
- Support health team’s engagement in UN interagency coordination, in particular the UN Inter-Agency Task Force on NCDs, on HIV, on health emergencies and resilience, by serving as focal point on thematic working groups as needed as well as by providing research insight and ensuring follow-up to tasks assigned to UNDP;
- Support ongoing partnership efforts with the WHO on the implementation of the SDG3 Global Action Plan;
- Foster partnerships including for resource mobilization and advocacy activities with UN partners, civil society, and other external stakeholders.
This position is under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative, with supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative and day to day direct supervision of the Partnerships, Innovation and Development Solutions Specialist.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements .
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Acumen: Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
Knowledge generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
Project management: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
Minimum Qualifications for UNDP Jobs Uganda 2022:
- Master’s degree in the areas of Public Health, International Development, Public Administration and Management or any related fields.
- At least 2 or more years of progressive relevant work (HIV, NCDs and broader health) experience at National level in project support and management;
- Hands-on experience in design and implementation of partnership initiatives and events;
- Demonstrated ability to translate research and evidence into well-written, policy relevant communications, for example: policy briefs, discussion notes, academic papers, and guidance documents;
- Experience engaging with government officials on Health and HIV is an asset;
- Knowledge and experience of UNDP and/or UN agency and/or other development organizations is an asset; especially work experience on a multi-agency project/programme;
- Experience in the Health Sector Programing and National HIV/AIDS Response;
- Experience in providing technical advice at senior level, technical expertise and working knowledge of HIV/AIDS, Health and Development;
- Good communication skills, including the ability to deliver presentations to senior level professionals, experience working with UN or other international organizations will be an added advantage;
- Experience of working within an international development organization is required.
- Fluency in writing and speaking English
How To Apply for UNDP Jobs Uganda 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: 9th September 2022
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.