Tugende Uganda Jobs 2022 – Fresher Data Scientist (Business Intelligence)
Job Title: Data Scientist (Business Intelligence) – Tugende Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: Tugende Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Business Intelligence
Tugende Uganda Profile
Tugende uses asset finance, technology, and a customer-centric model to help informal sector entrepreneurs dramatically increase their economic trajectory. Tugende’s core asset finance packages include medical and life insurance, training, safety equipment and digital credit profiles in addition to affordable asset financing for SMEs. By helping clients grow economically and build digital track records of responsibility, we are creating a long-term ecosystem for MSMEs to grow and thrive.
Tugende is tackling the credit gap for small businesses in Africa by enabling informal entrepreneurs to: 1) own income‑generating assets, 2) build a verifiable digital credit profile, and 3) earn future growth opportunities through the Tugende digital platform. This platform includes discounts, smartphones, e‑commerce opportunities, and on‑demand credit lines. Tugende has financed 52,000+ productive asset leases valued at over USD 35 million. The company has 750+ employees serving clients across 23 branches in Uganda and 10 in Kenya. Tugende is growing into new geographies and asset product lines including boat engines for fishermen and fridges for retail shops.
The data scientist will be part of Tugende’s Business Intelligence team and will work full-time. The data scientist will report to the Head of Business Intelligence will be responsible for creating reports, designing automated solutions, and providing support and training in areas that require reporting and the use of Tugende’s business intelligence solutions. As Tugende grows its global footprint, the function will equivalently grow.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Business Intelligence Solution Development, Reporting and Tracking
- Develop robust business intelligence tools to automate extraction, transformation and loading from ERPs, CRMs and other systems such as MS Dynamics, Salesforce, Odoo and external Application Programming Interfaces using Power BI, Google Sheets, MS Excel tools, Tableau and Python.
- Connect to a multitude of data sources and systems in real-time using Power BI, Google Sheets, Tableau and MS Excel.
- Design and develop interactive dashboards to track KPIs, visualize trend analysis and drive strategic execution for different business needs aligned to Tugende’s strategic targets.
- Generate daily, weekly and monthly business reports such as performance reports highlighting performance for different strategic targets such as revenue, bottom line, customer satisfaction and territorial/branch performance.
Analytics, Forecasting, Insights and Recommendations
- Develop forecasts for key business operations using languages such as python, data analysis expressions and any other language integrable with Power BI to highlight new insights and areas of focus for a given planning period to enhance data-driven decision making strategies.
- Provide strategic recommendations driven by data insights and forecasts generated for key stakeholders at Tugende.
- Validate predictive models to ensure reliability of forecasts using tools such as the confusion matrix, ROC curve or back testing.
- Provide analytical support to the analytics team.
Learning and Development
- Train and skill users of the developed reporting tools.
- Train BI analysts hired for similar roles to assist in onboarding and succession planning.
Documentation and Standards
- Document user manuals to ease use of developed BI applications.
- Work closely with data teams to assist in adherence of the BI Charter.
- Collaborate with data scientists, engineers and other BI analysts to ensure and improve data availability, quality, integrity and model reliability.
Note: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Qualifications for Tugende Uganda Jobs 2022
Preferred skills, knowledge & abilities:
- Ability to work with at least one programming language (preferably python), a business intelligence tool (tableau or PowerBI,), and spreadsheet programs(MS Excel or Google sheets).
- A deep understanding of Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) especially working with variables and time intelligence.
- Analytical skills and business judgement with ability to synthesize and interpret qualitative and quantitative data into practical strategy execution recommendations for key decision making.
- Ability to query databases using business intelligence tools.
- Comfortable with basic finance, credit and operational reporting.
Qualification and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in Statistics, Finance, Computer Science, Economics, Information Systems or equivalent is desired.
- Minimum 2 – 3 years of work experience in data science, statistics, financial analysis or similar, particularly in sectors such as microfinance, retail financial services, and/or professional services.
- Experience with a database management system such as MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, Postgres is desired but not a necessity.
- Experience in using version control tools such as Git.
Personal Attributes and Abilities:
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills.
- Adaptable, self-driven and able to work in fast paced environments.
- Ability to collaborate and coordinate with various teams physically and remotely in order to achieve business goals.
- Ability to finish tasks within or before stipulated deadlines.
- Problem-solving and out of the box thinking skills are advantageous.
- Good written and spoken English.
Soft skills that align with Tugende core values:
The preferred candidate must be willing and ready to embrace our shared values at Tugende as a whole:
- We operate with empathy and understanding for everyone (Including; Coach and cheerleader, Dignity, highly approachable, and Exceptional customer experience; prioritize the customer’s experience)
- We are solutions-oriented (Including; Courage, Being proactive, Operational excellence, and Follow-through and ownership)
- We are always growing (Including; Learning, Innovating and striving to improve, Meritocracy; provides opportunity based on merit)
- We have integrity in all decisions (Including; Fair / honest, Good judgment, Critical thinking)
- We work as a team (Including; being Humble, Dependable and Supportive)
- Professionalism: Maintains professionalism when corresponding with partners/investors. In addition, being Empathetic and personable when dealing with Tugende stakeholders
- Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as an opportunity to grow.
How To Apply for Tugende Uganda Jobs 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: Open until filled
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Subscribe to Blog via Email
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.