Habitat for Humanity Uganda Jobs 2022 – Fresher Gender & Youth Specialist
Job Title: Gender & Youth Specialist – Habitat for Humanity Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: Habitat for Humanity
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Programs
Habitat for Humanity Profile:
Habitat for Humanity Uganda (HFHU) is affiliated to Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) headquartered in Atlanta – Georgia (U.S.A); and is an ecumenical Christian ministry that is dedicated to eliminating poverty housing. HFHU functionally reports to HFHI’s Europe Middle East and Africa (EMEA) Area Office in Pretoria – South Africa. Over the last 10 years, Habitat for Humanity Uganda has rehabilitated and constructed over 24,000 houses, transforming over 144,000 lives across the country. Our country program has 5 field offices located in Kumi, Mayuge, Lugazi, Luweero, and Fort portal.
The Program Officer-Gender and Youth Empowerment will steer gender and positive youth development approaches in Habitat for Humanity programs in Uganda. S/he will be responsible for developing and implementing gender and youth strategies that ensure inclusion of women, youth and persons with disabilities in project and intervention design. S/he will develop the capacity of program teams and local partners to become Gender and Youth Champions, and conduct household dialogues around gender and intra-household decision-making. Will work with the program, resource development, communications teams to understand, initiative and nurture Habitat volunteer’s structure both at the national and community level while identifying opportunities of meaningfully engaging these groups in Habitat’s housing value chain. S/he will support the Head of Programs to establish partnership agreements where appropriate and promote shared learning and collaboration between partners by facilitating partner networks and meetings. The Programme Officer will also ensure all HFH-Uganda safeguarding issues and other policy guidelines are taken on board.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Ensure high quality programming for youth and gender equality:
- Undertake situation analysis of youth in Uganda from a gender perspective, using credible reports, studies and statistics, including information from young women and men and organizations working on gender and/or youth, and produce analytical papers in support of strategic programming for youth and gender equality;
- Prepare concept notes, programme/project proposals, resource mobilization tools, activity and budget proposals on youth economic empowerment, regional youth hubs, Habitat Volunteer Chapters in partner academic institutions, young women’s leadership and participation and the development of young men’s groups as gender equality champions;
- Act as lead officer and focal point for youth and gender equality, particularly in conceptualizing interventions and managing youth and gender programmes. Liaise with other technical teams to coordinate and synergize results of youth and gender initiatives;
- Monitor international, national and sub-national developments that impact on the status of youth and recommend appropriate responses to emerging issues if necessary. Maintain a database of information on youth/young women in Uganda that are essential to youth programming for gender equality such as researches, statistics and information about policies, programmes, services, networks, trainings, and capacity building resources and opportunities;
- Undertake substantive monitoring, documentation, reporting and evaluation of programme-related activities, including through field visits, analysis of partner reports, external assessments and evaluations, and feedbacks from credible informants.
- Lead on the development and implementation of HFHU’s gender and positive youth development strategy
Oversee the implementation of Habitat Volunteer Initiatives:
- Provide substantive technical inputs for successful implementation of the YEEP components
- Provide overall leadership in the initiation and nurturing of a strong volunteer structure at national and community level
- Support the program team in establishing strong volunteer networks at community level and recommend strategies for meaningful engagement of Habitat volunteers
- Represent Habitat in all meetings and events relative to the implementation of YEEP, HFH Volunteer Network and serve as resource person and channel of communication between the project partners, HFH and other stakeholders.
- Build strategic partnerships and support to the implementation of Youth Economic
Empowerment Program (YEEP):
- Work/coordinate with external partners such as, government entities, Embassies, UN agencies, private sector, academia and civil society organizations to implement and synergize initiatives around young women and men;
- Actively participate in programming and planning activities of YEEP to ensure that the concerns of youth are positioned within strategic priorities of various projects of HFH.
- Collect and analyZe information on donors with interest on youth programs, prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identify opportunities for initiation of new projects, and participate actively in the overall resource mobilization efforts of Country program;
Ensure advocacy support, knowledge building and management:
- Ensure effective process documentation and sharing of information, tools and best practices with local, national and international partners working in support of youth and gender equality
- Support sector stakeholder advocacy efforts pertaining to building solid ground for women land rights
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to country strategy in the sectoral/thematic areas assigned. Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice in the country and within the region.
Minimum Qualifications for Habitat for Humanity Uganda Jobs 2022:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in International Development, Gender, Human Rights, Public Administration or other related Behavioral or Social Sciences; A master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- At least two years of proven professional experience in working with youth with focus on employment, innovation hubs and leadership of young/women and gender equality;
- Two years of experience in programming in national and international agency contexts in Uganda, with demonstrated skills in the design, planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of youth development projects is highly desirable;
- Solid experience in providing technical support and strategic coordination with a myriad of stakeholders and partners, including government, civil society, international organizations, donors, grassroots organizations and interagency committees;
- Previous experience in providing capacity development or providing guidance to project counterparts would be an asset;
- High level of proficiency in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and experience in handling web-based management systems;
- Familiarity with national youth policies and programmes; the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW); Beijing Platform for Action; gender equality initiatives; human rights frameworks; major youth issues in Uganda.
How To Apply for Habitat for Humanity Uganda Jobs 2022
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should applicants should submit copies of: Cover letter and CV ONLY as one document to email@example.com. Clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject line
Deadline: Tuesday 31st May 2022 at 5:00 pm
For similar Jobs in Uganda today and great Uganda jobs, please remember to subscribe using the form below:
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact Fresher Jobs Uganda if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.