Job Title: Agricultural Officer – Goal Uganda Jobs 2020
Organization: Goal Uganda
Goal Uganda Profile:
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, with a global team of 2,400 personnel, dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 13 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods.
General description of the country programme:
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to a range of background checks. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
GOAL is currently seeking to hire one (1) Agricultural Officer to join our Agago/Kalongo team.
The Agricultural Officer will be motivated by the opportunity to share knowledge and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of agricultural production in targeted communities. They will understand the importance of linking nutrition and agriculture and how they are interlinked. They will be a self-starting, open and transparent communicator, willing to support colleagues, work as a team and take on additional tasks and responsibilities when required.
Note that this position is contingent on funding.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Project planning and implementation
- Conduct regular market surveys, assessments and mapping of agricultural actors and stakeholders in Agago District working in specific value chains, notably maize and a variety of nutrient dense foods
- Identify and facilitate linkages between project participants and key agricultural stakeholders, including input and output dealers, District officials and others
- Develop agricultural training plans and session guides for community groups on pre and post harvest handling practices
- Deliver agricultural trainings to large community groups
- Support the development, maintenance and harvest of demonstration plots in selected parishes (specifically maize)
- Support and mentor community volunteers to cultivate their own maize plots, providing regular guidance and support to promote positive yields and results
- Provide supplementary support to Nutrition Officers to manage and oversee community volunteers and community groups and ensure quality and timely implementation of project activities as per the project plan
Networking, coordination and outreach
- Work closely with agricultural extension workers and other relevant sub-county and district stakeholders to facilitate the implementation of project activities
- Establish and maintain good coordination and working relationships with sub-county and district leaders and local government departments, representing GOAL in coordination meetings and soliciting their participation in all activities where appropriate and as directed by the line manager
- Introduce the project team and project participants to relevant stakeholders including local business owners, local representatives and community members
- Foster ongoing positive cooperation with these stakeholders and forge links between market actors, producers, end users, etc. and project participants
Documentation, monitoring, learning and reporting
- Submit weekly, monthly and quarterly reports on agricultural activities, outputs and results as per the project workplan and monitoring plan
- Participate in baseline, endline and sustainability data collection as well as support longitudinal monitoring at 2, 6 and 12 months post-activity implementation
- Ensure consistent and accurate records are taken and kept for all NIPP participants in the project monitoring tools as required
- Participate in project and volunteer/community review meetings
- Conduct follow-up and spot check on on-going activities for quality control
- Provide inputs and support on the development of learning documents including learning reviews, success stories, story of change
- Maintain proper filing system using the agreed filing structure and platforms
- Prepare weekly workplans and submit to the Project Manager
- Record and respond to feedback from communities, following GOAL CBRM process and protocol.
- Provide relevant agricultural information as required in the development of new proposals
- Ensure compliance with the HR manual and GOAL policies and procedures, maintaining standards of integrity and working to the GOAL Code of Conduct
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to GOAL Uganda and to not jeopardize its humanitarian and development mission
- University degree in Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Health, Social Sciences, or related discipline. Experience may substitute for qualifications, but not the other way around.
- Minimum of two years working experience of community agricultural with a strong focus on partnering with the District and private sector
- Comprehensive understanding of Acholi Dialect
- Possession of a riding permit (Class A) and ability to ride a motorcycle
- Experience in conducting market assessments, mappings and surveys
- Confident presentation and facilitation skills, proven record in the provision of training
How To Apply for Goal Uganda Jobs 2020:
Interested applicants who meet the requirements should submit their applications by email with at least 4 reference contacts (3 from the last three employers, and 1 character reference), please attach a copy of the riding permit, and daytime contact number to;
The Human Resource Manager,
Via email at: email@example.com
Indicating the title ‘Agricultural Officer’ in the subject line.
PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH CERTIFICATES.
Closing Date: 3rd July 2020