Job Title: HR & Admin Associate – UNOPS Uganda Jobs 2020
Organization: UNOPS Peace and Security Centre (PSC) Uganda
Duty Station: Entebbe.
The UNOPS Peace and Security Centre (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. The Centre is responsible to administer, provide support and oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the Centre Director who has the overall authority and accountability for the performance of the Peace and Security Centre on behalf of its clients.
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.UNOPS supports partners in the implementation of approximately 1,000 projects, which range from managing the construction of roads in South Sudan and providing renewable energy solutions in internally displaced person camps in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, to helping the Government of Honduras procure vital medicines and medical supplies, UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects it supports.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support for policy development and implementation
- Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by assisting to collect data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices;
- Assist with projects in support of HR initiatives for attainment of business objectives in line with the corporate HR strategy;
- Support the communication of HR policy changes and new HR initiatives to management and personnel, providing guidance as needed.
- Advisory Services:
- Provide guidance on HR related systems and processes including but not limited to Recruitment, Contracts, Position Management, Performance Management, Benefits and Entitlements consistent with UNOPS rules and procedures;
- Provide advice and guidance to personnel on administrative procedures, processes and practices;
- Act as liaison between unit and internal and external clients and provides proactive customer service to expedite completion of projects, and provide information;
- As the first face of HR, ensure that new hires’ first impressions are positive and that they have all in-processing information completed;
- Advise hiring management and guide personnel on UNOPS recruitment and performance management processes, and learning and development initiatives, resources, and plans;
- Provide advice to supervisors on good practices, policies and procedures in performance management, including managing of under-performance;
- Support the implementation of institutional gender and diversity initiatives, providing education and advice on issues related to equity, compliance, inclusion, and diversity.
- Talent Acquisition & Administration and Office Administrative Services:
- Assist in recruitment processes ensuring best practices are used for effective and efficient talent acquisition in line with UNOPS policy;
- Actively participate in workforce planning at the office and project level and guide clients through recruitment and selection processes. Take lead on requisition initiation, long-listing, testing and interviews, formal approvals, selection minutes, reference checking, fee calculation, offers and rejections, and updating recruitment on-line information system;
- Inform and advise UNOPS personnel, consultants, partners and project personnel on their conditions of service and entitlements according to their contract modality, expediting actions to facilitate their efficient, timely, and client-focused on-boarding;
- Liaise with UNOPS’ HR related groups such as BSSC on personnel administration matters and submit transactional HR service data (normally within the ERP system);
- Research precedents and present recommendations to supervisor, taking into account institutionalized exceptions. Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and assist in the preparation of notes/reports;
- Establish and maintain monitoring systems, advising the supervisor on the status of pending requests and approaching deadlines. Follow up on team work processes to ensure clearance, approvals and timely workflows;
- Answer questions and follow-up with personnel and management to ensure completion of absences requests, performance management cycle, and other HR processes etc. in electronic information systems;
- Liaise with relevant HQ and UN system units (such as Entebbe Support Base; Admin/protocol, ICT, Security, training sections) to exchange information and follow up on pending issues;
- Set up and maintain department files/records including but not limited to; personnel files, attendance sheets, leave records etc according to local and corporate record retention guidelines
- Follow up or process payroll verification;
- Monitor status of HR actions to facilitate timely action by supervisor and line management, including on transactions initiated, expiring appointments/contracts, and pending separation actions.
- Support efficient planning and management of the HR unit, including drafting annual recruitment plans, implementing designated projects in line with the corporate HR strategy, overseeing personnel file systems as well as provision of related statistical summaries and tracking movements of UNOPS personnel within the relevant business units;
- Prepare quarterly travel plans for the programme;
- Responsible for travel management activities for programme staff and visitors;
- Provide administrative support & coordination to key events (e.g. conferences, VIP visits, UN Day, training hosted in Entebbe etc.) in a timely and quality basis;
- Manage and maintain up-to-date training records and database of all personnel to ensure compliance in completion of mandatory training;
- Support the HRO in the implementation of internal guidelines and best practices.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development;
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide support to the organization, facilitation and/or delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on HR-related topics.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources;
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively;
- Undertake research on a range of HR-related issues and provide content for notes/reports including quarterly and year-end reports for monitoring, statistical and review purposes by management;
- Liaise with relevant HQ and UN system units to exchange information and follow up on pending issues.
- A First level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) combined with a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience OR
- A High School/Secondary education equivalent combined with a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience is required.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in an international and/or national organization in providing HR advisory, recruitment, administration and/or HR-generalist services.
- Fluency in English (reading, writing and speaking) is required.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is desired.
How To Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join us in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Closing Date: 28th July 2020 by 5:00 pm
The position is open to Ugandan Nationals only
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.